Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Glucagon treatment for Type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by SilverbladeTE, Feb 27, 2011.

1. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/60/2/391.abstract
    complex, early days, but basically, 2 hormones control blood sugar, nto jsut 1 (insulain, which we all know about)

glucagon's role wasn't so clear, new research suggests that reducing/stopping glucagon could let diabetics live without insulin and blood sugar level swould no longer be a problem, except after extreme exhertion like say a marathon (just need to keep blood sugar up by food/drink in that case).

early days, iirc, limited human trials have started, long term effects of course would be unknown a thtis stage, but interesting stuff! :)

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    do u have type 1 diabetes? I work as a paramedic and come accross alot of diabetics, mainly the unconscios ones. Anyway insulin is needed to allow the blood sugar to enter the cells so they have an energy supply they can use. Without insulin your blood sugar levels would keep rising and u would start to produces ketones for energy but your body can use them without insulin, so as these rise u become very toxic/acidic, symptoms of this a fruity smelling breath, u pee like a race horse and your vision becomes blurry, after a few days of this u become unconscious and die, so we need insulin.

Now glucagon is a hormone secreted in the pancrease to help balance the sugar lower effect of insulin, as sugar levels drop glucagon kicks in and tells the liver to secrete more glycogen and also helps the body to use protein and fats for energy as well. When someone has a hypo/low blood sugar episode causing unconsciousness, maybe from injecting insulin and not eating, glucagon is one treatment used to raise blood sugar and diabetics regain consciouness within 10-15mins. other treatments involve IV glucose but thats another storey.

So insulin and glucagon have a yin and yang relationship, we need them both.
    Now that i have read the article it seems that they think some diabetics secrete too much glucagon which raises blood sugar too high, so they are blocking glucagon, sounds like its still on the drawing boards to me.

cheers!!!

3. rwac

rwac Senior Member

heaps, I don't know if you've seen this study.
    Japanese researchers managed to regulate blood sugar by injecting leptin into the third ventricle of the brain.

4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Sounds interesting, i think alot of us have problems handling glucose thats why many prefer low carb diet and alot of us have put weight on, also has to to with the adrenal/thyroid axis. Metformin is a diabetic drug used to help improve insulin sensitivity in those who still produce insulin. I started using metformin when i slowly started putting weight on even on a low carb diet, i have lost about 6-7kg which is about 12lb? with no exercise just low carb and metformin, its help some with energy by stabilizing my glucose levels. Since cfs i ballooned up to 135kg, low carbs got me to 125kg but it was fluctuating, now with metformin im down to 118/119kg, my pre cfs weight was about 105kg, also 6ft1 and was fit?? Leptin would be nice addition to help with weight lose. I think its just another system that go's whacky in cfs.

cheers!!!

5. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    no I don't have diabetes thankfully :)
    mum dad have Type II though and one branch of family has a lot of Type1

See more popular forum discussions.