• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Global ebook club

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I've just found this online book club recently. It's called OverDrive's Big Library Read, and your library has to participate in this program called OverDrive, in order for you to be guaranteed access to the book during the two weeks that it runs. Call them and ask if they participate. After the two weeks are over, then there is an online discussion about the book. (if you read it after the two week time period, you can still go in and read the discussion).

Basically, if you go into your library's site and click on the link to get ebooks, and if it takes you to an OverDrive website, then your library participates in the program(or just call and ask). If you get onto OverDrives website, you will see the two books at the top that are being read currently. If it doesn't show the book club books on top, then there is no club reading currently going on.

Here's a link to read more about the program
http://biglibraryread.com/

The only problem I can see, is that they only offer these book club readings 3-4 times per year, and I haven't found a schedule of when the next books will be offered. So, you may miss the entire window that allows you to borrow the book without waiting for it. I'm new to this program so I'm still trying to figure it out myself, and I can't really answer many questions.

I did read one of the last book offerings "Shakespeare Saved My Life" by Laura Bates, and it was great! I would recommend this book to anyone (you may be able to even find the discussion on Overdrive somewhere still if you want to read it now).

I recommend reading reviews about the book first before you dive into one as it may or may not be that interesting to you.

Well, I think that's clear as mud so I will stop there - so foggy, ack :confused:

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Yep, @sillysocks84, that's exactly what I do. I haven't had to go to the library for over a year now. I've only had my kindle for a couple of years and love the ease of downloading to it. There are so many titles available for free on Overdrive too (as long as your library participates in it)!