1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Given Doubt Cast on CFS-XMRV Link, What About Related Research? (Alter comment)

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Jemal, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

New article by Amy Dockser Marcus. It has a comment from Alter.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2011/06...on-cfs-xmrv-link-what-about-related-research/

So Alter is sure that even if the contaministst blow the WPI out of the water, his study still stands. That's good to know, we have a fall back scenario :D (though I still believe in the WPI results).
  2. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Yes, there is a chance that the baby won't be thrown out with the bathwater. This is encouraging.
  3. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    But to be honest, if the WPI really had been wrong (what i don't believe), how big is the chance that there is no XMRV but those other variants of HGRVs in people? That seems a bit unlikely. I think either all of them are right or all of them are wrong.

Edit: But thanks for the good find. And i really hope Alter has some friends in the NIH that will be able to take care of the NCI situation a bit.
  4. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Yes, I think the WPI and Lo/Alter study complement each other. I agree it's unlikely that the WPI is wrong and Lo/Alter are right.
    In the end I want a treatment though, so I don't care who is right, as long as it delivers something.
  5. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    That is good news. So is noone trying to replicate or confirm Lo and Alter? And what's their excuse for not trying/ignoring it? Maybe WPI could try to replicate Lo and Alter. WPI is now saying they are finding a family of viruses- HGRVs, not just XMRV. Maybe they can't get the money.
  6. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Since posting this, someone pointed me to a study that very recently was published and that does address the Lo/Alter study. That particular study doesn't definitely say Lo/Alter are also detecting contamination, but they say it's a possibility and they warn that reagants might be contaminated:
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0019953

Alter still sounds very sure of himself, though.

As far as I know of, there have been no negative replication studies for Lo/Alter. Though Hanson/Bell have now also reported finding MLV's similar to Lo/Alter, I think they originally set out to reproduce the WPI results. Which I guess they also did, as Alter once stated the Lo/Alter study was validation for the WPI study.

What the WPI, Lo/Alter and Hanson/Bell are detecting might be different strains of the same virus. Like there is HIV-1, HIV-2, Hepatitis a, Hepatitis b, Hepatitis c, etc.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Just for clarity about that paper that you've linked to Jemal, here's what jace had to say about it on another thread:

8. markmc20001

markmc20001 Guest

little tid bit of interesting info from the article

9. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Hi Jemal,

I agree to 100%.
  10. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes, but if the people who actually are right are "proven wrong", then it might take a lot longer to get that treatment. And also, if the WPI really are correct, i don't want any of the money for my future treatments to go to those *%&%&s, because they destroyed the WPI in the course of all of this. Not that i see this happening in the near future, but it might be a possibility. I think if we ever get out of this mess we're in at the moment, where it's very hard to see clearly, we should look back and then not forget who our friends are and who are not.
  11. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I agree Eric.

See more popular forum discussions.