Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Give ME the Money

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Graham, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I hadn't been aware of that - I wonder if that's why psychiatrists have done so well for funding in the UK.

2. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    There was a quote, many years ago, from Jonathan Kerr about all his applications being shunted to the neurologists/psychiatrists subcommittee, and always getting at least one veto, generally on the grounds that they disagreed with the choice of sample of patients. All this is from an unreliable memory, so if anyone knows where I can find a link to that quote, I'd be really grateful.

3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    @Graham

He once discussed this issue at an IiME conference, so an IiME video would be a source.

Below, is the info that I've got in my notes, but I'm not certain where i got all the info from. I think some is from an IiME conference video, but I might have picked up bits here and there:

Dr Jonathan Kerr has had his grant applications rejected by the MRC on a number of occasions. On one occasion he was turned down with a score from the MRC referees of 9,9,3 where the '3' was awarded by a psychiatrist*. Dr Kerr has said that he has had a number of grant applications rejected with an average score of 9,8,3 where each time it is a psychiatrist giving the low score and blocking the grant.

* I'm not sure if this was an assumption made by Dr Kerr - see wording in the quote below.

I've also got in my notes that one reason used to turn down an application was that he wanted to use CCC for recruitment. This excuse would presumably have been used on just one occasion though..

And I've found this as well. See the link within the quote:

And there's a bit more here:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...to-the-uks-medical-research-council-mrc.1636/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Sidereal, Valentijn and Cheshire like this.
  4. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    Thanks Bob: that was the quote I had in mind. Very useful! Now to find somewhere safe to store it!

Bob likes this.
  5. Aidan Walsh

Aidan Walsh

Private Commercial liens under Uniform Commercial Code arrest them in Commerce seize assets in the Millions

6. Aidan Walsh

Aidan Walsh

There is also another Private way of getting money into research & that is putting in a Security agreement with a UCC-1 Financing Statement & seize the funds off of your Birth Certificates which is written on Bond paper it is worth Millions with the Fed Reserve which is the IMF/World Bank

7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    This has been on my "To Read" list for ages. Thanks @Graham for doing all this work. I think it's really well done and so important to highlight this issue.

How do these biomedical results compare with psychosocial research funds granted? Is it basically 4 times as much?

8. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    Glad it was useful, @snowathlete !

As far as I can tell, of the small amount allocated to ME/CFS in comparison with other conditions, about 80% of it has gone on psychosocial research. I wouldn't be surprised if the story in the US was similar, although it does depend on how we classify funding of research into the muscles of rats left to nearly drown, on the grounds that they were testing fatigue! (And, of course, in the past, in the US, a significant amount just vanished from the funds.)

The complication is that many studies are multi-funded, and include both government sources (the DWP, for example, part-funded PACE), and funding through NHIR (the research section of the NHS) is quite difficult to pin down. Much of the psychological stuff though has been funded by charitable bodies (rarely ME charities). Also, how do we rate university funding?

It's still a good rough estimate though: it is consistent with the Gibson Inquiry of 2006.

snowathlete and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.