1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ginger versus turmeric/curcumin? as anti-inflammatory

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sherlock, May 31, 2013.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    Anybody have any thoughts on which is better as a general anti-inflammatory? I'm going to try capsules to hopefully maximize effect quickly, rather than using them as spices in food.

Ginger seems a lot cheaper, so if the experiment is a fizzle, that'd be a plus. Then again, maybe ginger is not as powerful as turmeric - even considering I'd be taking a lot more mgs of the ginger in order to get the same dose of the curcumin as a concentrate.

GracieJ likes this.
  2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I think ginger lowers blood pressure and is a vassodilator, so if you have POTs or low BP I think you have to watch out.

Sherlock likes this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Sherlock likes this.
  4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    In terms of potency, curcumin > turmeric > ginger.

GracieJ and Sherlock like this.
  5. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

GracieJ and Sherlock like this.
  6. UM MAN

UM MAN

Florida
  7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Well, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant activity isn't really the same, although many substances include both.

8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Sherlock likes this.
  9. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I'd like to see a reference for this? I would think Meriva is much more potent.

Sherlock likes this.
  10. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

You’re probably right, Adreno. I didn’t know there was a phospholipid one out there. Shows you how long it’s been since I was able to use this stuff.

11. Sherlock

US
    Thanks for all the replies.

Here's something a bit strange. I found this old bottle of turmeric from 6 years ago, so it might have lost some strength:
    http://www.vitaminworld.com/turmeric-771/turmeric-curcumin-capsules-015418
    (seems overpriced now, btw)

Ingredients are 450mg turmeric plus only 50mg 95% curcuminoids. I took 4 tablets on Sunday, spaced through the day. Monday morning while testing urine pH I noticed the orange color (no B vitamins). So that means it was absorbed enough to cause the color, yet I always see the claims that only a tiny amount gets absorbed. Can a tiny amount cause a fairly bright orange coloration? It's said that the curcuminoids provide the color, and not any associated inactive molecules in the turmeric plant.

Quercetin is also said to be difficult to absorb, yet only 500mg abolishes my niacin flush by at least 90%.

12. Sherlock

US
    Since my BP goes high when I'm inflamed, I bought the ginger. Almost a pound in capsules for $8. Thanks.

13. Sherlock

US
    In fact, since getting sick I can no longer stand the idea of having turnip greens anymore. If it's not the oxalates in it that repels me, is there something else in them?

Thanks for the list, it turns out that turmeric and ginger both have oxalates, but not the curcumin extract. I'm going to chance the ginger anyway, because of possible BP lowering but also as A.B. says, because of bang for the buck (there was a sale)

14. Sherlock

US

Also, it's a good idea to match the antioxidant up with whatever you want to quench. E.g., fat or water soluble as one consideration. Melatonin, I think, gets in anywhere - but not all antioxidants do

Ester-C is fat soluble, to get into the skin after a sunburn. Those are the claims, anyway.

15. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I've never liked turnip greens, bleh, so I don't know what else is in them. Boiling high ox
    foods reduces oxalates tho. Just throw out the water.

I make dehydrated kale but boil the kale first. I don't think anyone
    ever came up with a recommended time for boiling. I just boil it until it's barely limp. Say 2 minutes.
    You'll notice the grainy texture is gone.

fwiw, I started having esophageal pain from ginger, chard, spinach and kale after juicing these for about
    3 months so I use these sparingly now. Don't know if it was an oxalate problem or allergy. My esophagus
    is very sensitive to other allergens now.

Tc .. X

16. Sherlock

US
    Well, my SBP always goes up when I am sick/inflamed, to around 140/90. It had been there for very many weeks, which was starting to worry me. But I took out the cuff twice today and I read 120/80, so I am very happy over that.

I began taking the ginger root when it arrived on Saturday. The label says to take 2 per day, so I took 8 (550mg each). Maybe that's the reason, but I also began taking daily quercetin again - and quercetin, like genistein (in soy), is said to inhibit the isoprostanes that raise BP - possibly because of being tyrosine kinase inhibitors*. Regardless of the mechanism, finally a supplement (or combination of the two) seemed to work - and I hope it lasts.

* I just noticed that one of the best success stories in anti-cancer (CML: leukemia) chemotherapy, Gleevec/imatinib, is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor.

Tags: hypertension (not orthostatic hypertension) ginger

17. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Curamin

When I was at the local health-food store, I told the clerk that I had strained my back recently. She recommended a product called Curamin. It contains curcumin, boswellia, DL-phenylalamine, and nattokinase. They claim that their trademarked curcumin extract is up to 10 time better than standard curcumin extracts.

The clerk said that she knew people who had good luck with it for arthritis. The insert material says that it is for occasional pain and inflammation and that it is to be take for 7 - 10 days. I cannot say how well it is working for me because I don’t know how I would feel if I were taking ibuprofen instead. I do know that my stomach likes it a lot better than ibuprofen.

See more popular forum discussions.