May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ginger/Red Hair or other?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by ChrisD, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Do you have Red, Ginger or Other Hair Colour?

1. Red

2. Ginger

3. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    Quite a simple poll but I am quite intrigued by the fact that I am coming across many fellow ME sufferers with Ginger/Red hair (I have fair ginger hair), and it makes me wonder whether there is anything in that genetically?

I know that there is a gene in red-headed people that makes them more sensitive to pain, but maybe there is also a gene correlation that relates to other symptoms like fatigue.

Sorry I don't have the energy to make a really compelling post about this but I believe it is fairly interesting...

pattismith likes this.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    When I attended a support group meeting of ME patients in the 1980's there were noticeably more young red, ginger and blond people there. No idea why. It just stuck in my mind.

I tried a count at a Invest in ME conference about 5 years ago but it was hard to do due to the ages of the people there.

Bob and ChrisD like this.
  3. jesse's mom

jesse's mom Senior Member

Alabama USA
    I answered other because as a child I had blonde/gold hair. It got darker as i got older, but always tended to be a golden colour. I a m75% grey haired now. I DO think I have the dreaded "redhead gene". I have a very Irish body type with a large boned upper body.

4. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

FWIW, I have ginger hair, and my biological sister & mother have dark brown hair... Their symptoms overlap w mine ~90-95% ... also, no gingers/redheads on either side of the family!

ukxmrv likes this.
  5. Chelby

Chelby

I have dark blonde hair as does my brother, nana and 2 of my cousins who all have MECFS. However red hair does run in my family (great grandma and cousin have it, so both sides of the family).

Also we are 50% Irish if that means anything. From one Ive seen though MECFS affects people of all races....

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This arose in discussion some years back, due mostly to ancestry. There are parts of Europe in which red hair is more common that appear to have more ME cases. Its hard to be sure though. I do not recall the details of that discussion, but it was on this forum.

Forbin likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

alex3619 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.