• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GI Biofilm/ infection/heavy metals

susan

My Doc has me methylating and killing gut bugs at the same time. He says methylation and the gut protocol will penetrate the biofilm. He said I did not have to detox metals as the methylation when it gets working, will pull out the metals. However I had already started a mercury detox 5 mths prior. It is a powder ( $140 lasts 2mths) I get from the homeopath containing

Chlorella
Spiralina
Ganaderama (reishi mushroom)
probiotics

I take a tab of this mix and add 1 litre of apple juice, add a knob of grated ginger or tumeric and a 1/4 cup of goji berries. I let this ferment for 2 days in the fridge. Then I drink 150 ml day. She gives me homeopath pills too.

I had a hair test done by Doctors data 4 mths after starting this mix and I am quite low in mercury.

The Doc has been treating Autism for 15 yrs......has had a great deal of success. Did the stool test to discover WHAT bugs to kill. I have to take Mutaflor every week. The die off has been incredible...nothing for 3 wks but now after 6 wks I am still copping it in one form or other. Charcoal rescued me big time today from such fatigue I thought I would die from it.
I am taking herbs too for the gut and another probiotic.

My Doc treats t anyone in any country for $100 an hour by email /phone.....$50 for Oz folk. He is not out ot make himself rich...very compassionate. He gets you to do the tests and then sends you the results by email and what he recommends you to take. He is great in that I can email him when I am in trouble like today and I get an answer FREE.....just a suburban guy. I am seeing the first ray of hope as last Sunday, a week ago, I vaccuumed for the first time in 12 yrs!!!!!!! I had to lay down a lot but I had ENERGY. Something must be working.

aquariusgirl

Hi
Yeah, I tried Usman's gut protocol last year .. I posted this elsewhere.
this is from memory...but I did some lumbrokinase and maybe nattokinase. then half an hour later some oregano oil and young's essential olis and maybe some caprilyic acid ...(maybe it was just 2 of those..killing agents can't remember).. then charcoal later.
I completely overdid it. I was sick as a dog ....for a day or so...I wish I'd taken a fecal metals test... but I didnn't
I haven't repeated since then.
Looking back, I overdid it...but I bet it worked .. It just mobilised too many toxins is my guess.
Yasko was not thrilled when I ran a CDSA afterwards. .She said we had lost ground because of it .. in the gut.
I think she thinks it's too aggressive.
Oh, and when I overdo things, it really does a number on my gut, and I worry that I am permanently damaging it..although I am not sure how.
Google Peta Cohen, biofilm protocol, for her take on it.. in a recent ARG newsletter.
She said one kid was dumping major copper after going on it...

R** Yasko uses EDTA complex with CALCIUM. Calcium feeds the biofilm matrix....so you don't want to use that kind of edta as a biofilm buster.
google Anju Usman, or Peta Cohen for details of the type of EDTA u need.

SUSAN: My understanding is that if your mercury is low on a hair test, it means you're not excreting it, ie the body is holding on to it. This is per andy cutler.. it doesn't mean that you aren't stuffed to the gills with mercury. It just means you haven't been getting rid of it in the last 3 months.

Very hard to figure out what metals you are carrying.. I've even heard that the porphyrins test in France gives false negatives.

anne_likes_red

Those headaches sound awful Athene! I wouldn't be able to continue on with them either.
I've got Kirkman's too but haven't started them yet. (Happy to report back when I do in a couple of weeks!)
I'm doing two weeks of apple cider vinegar, garlic, coconut oil, olive leaf extract and fermented cabbage juice (not as bad as it sounds!) as a lead in. Using Vit C plus green clay as binders at this stage. Also looking after hydration with electrolytes...and green coconut juice because I happened to find some at the market.
I did a liver flush before starting which went OK, and I've been hit pretty hard by die off but it doesn't hang around all day thankfully.
I've got some more antimicrobials plus continuation of the above things (probably in rotation) to use with the Kirkman's Biofilm Defense, plus Microsilica for chelation, pectasol as a binder, charcoal for emergencies....but that's a couple of weeks off still. I will post and report how it goes.

I know JanisB is doing a biofilm protocol at the moment - you can read about it on her blog (which I think may be linked on her profile??)

R** remember bone broth as a gut builder :))
In another post you asked about binding without pulling out more metals. My understanding of Klinghardts perspective is that for many people if they use effective binders in the gut and use them 24/7 the body will release metals from "higher up" in amounts the system can handle, without necessarily needing to pull them with the heavy chelators (DMSA etc). The cells being sufficiently hydrated is important in this too. Supporting Methylation and supplementing for KPU probably play an important role for many of us as well.

Anne.

aquariusgirl

aaaaaaaaaaaaah bone broth
I hear that stuff is GRRREAT. Some autism moms swear by it, that and kombucha and anything fermented.
So much to do. So little brain power and get up'n go.
You have my admiration Anne.
Interested to hear how it goes.

anne_likes_red

aaaaaaaaaaaaah bone broth
I hear that stuff is GRRREAT. Some autism moms swear by it, that and kombucha and anything fermented.
So much to do. So little brain power and get up'n go.
You have my admiration Anne.
Interested to hear how it goes.

Hehe yes bone broth :)

My children, who are pretty healthy, respond really well to it so I know there's good stuff in there. If they have some with their evening meal they're really calm and extra-settled going to bed. (Sounds like I'm drugging them!) I think it's a response to getting easily assimilated minerals - likely small amounts, but very highly absorbable maybe?

Bone broth pretty much makes itself around here (at least I've made it so often I can do it in my fog). I drink somewhere between 2 and 4 cups every day. I can't tolerate the fat though so I remove most of that. Plenty of black peppercorns cooked in it for extra digestive help. I think it's the L glutamate in the broth that's especially good to restore the gut lining. It "feels" like there's much more in there that's good for the gut too.
I'm only making sauerkraut so far but would love to gradually get to grips with making more ferments. Coconut kefir intrigues me - though apparently the taste can pack quite a punch!

...Re the brain power and get up and go...well mine got up and went (both of them) when I crashed badly last year and stayed crashed for 16 weeks. I managed the broth, really you just turn it on and let it cook :rolleyes: but my mother took over the sauerkraut and some of the general cooking for my family. I'm back from a scary 3 to a very relieved 4 on Bells scale but my brush with 3 for those months and basically being bedbound all but a couple of hours of each day really focussed me into putting everything I can into moving forward...and it motivated me to not be afraid to ask for specific help (for the first time in 25 years with ME).

R** (Robin :Retro smile:) has good experience with the Gaps diet too.
There's a really good ferments thread here somewhere - in this subforum I think. But if you do ever decide to try your hand at bone broths just shout out and I'd be happy to help with advice! :)

I will update with how my gut protocol is going. I can't afford to push it too hard with small children to help care for and the last thing I want to do is to end up a 3 again (or worse) and back in bed! So my approach will be relatively cautious I think.

Markmc - if you're there :Retro smile: - How's the ACV/honey protocol going? I find ACV one of the hardest things to take. Have had to add extra honey to get it down!

Best to All,
Anne.

susan

Anne,
My Doc told me to simmer the bones for 3 days!!!! It tastes sooo strong you would not believe. I even grind the bones up and eat them too. She said by cooking it that long you get an enormous amount of minerals. It could be the calcium in those bones that is making the children calmer

You are in NZ I think. It is cooler there than here in OZ. This fermenting is so important for us. I tried to make sauerkraut in November here and it turned Yukky and I had to throw it out. I used to be able to do it in Vancouver but not here. I wonder what is wrong....probably the heat and humidity. The Budwig anti-cancerr diet says to begin the day with sauekraut juice first as it gets digestion working. I love it and cabbage rolls....miss them.

brenda

If you put a splash of apple cidar vinegar in with the bones, you get more minerals coming out. Gosh susan I never thoguht about grinding the bones!! I have some chicken bones on now in my slow cooker which I will leave for 3 days. The best though is the geletine that comes out of beef bones - it is really good for us.

anne_likes_red

Hi Susan,

Yes it's generally much cooler here - benchtop fermenting in the summer for a week works fine. Then I have a place in the hot water cupboard with a thermometer, which works ok in the winter.
My aunt in Brisbane makes sauerkraut using Sandor Katz's book. I'm not sure how long hers takes to ferment.

I wonder if the type of cabbage makes a difference. The level of probiotic naturally occuring on the leaves needs to be enough to get the upper hand over any bad bacteria. Have you ever made it using probiotic as a starter? I know some people do it like that.

The broth I make only simmers 4 - 8 hours. It's always very gelatinous and some of the smaller bones virtually disintegrate.
I guess you must use a slowcooker over 3 days? The bones must be like superfine polystyrene when you've finished simmering them! :D

I think it is probably calcium and magnesium that does the trick with the kids. Both in usable forms that are digested quickly, and high in the gut I think.

It's good stuff. :Retro smile:

And sauerkraut juice - I've heard lots say it knocks sweet cravings on the head! Not sure how though :)

I find it generally very satisfying to make some of my own "supplements". It does mean increased time and energy in the kitchen though....:rolleyes:

Anne,
My Doc told me to simmer the bones for 3 days!!!! It tastes sooo strong you would not believe. I even grind the bones up and eat them too. She said by cooking it that long you get an enormous amount of minerals. It could be the calcium in those bones that is making the children calmer

You are in NZ I think. It is cooler there than here in OZ. This fermenting is so important for us. I tried to make sauerkraut in November here and it turned Yukky and I had to throw it out. I used to be able to do it in Vancouver but not here. I wonder what is wrong....probably the heat and humidity. The Budwig anti-cancerr diet says to begin the day with sauekraut juice first as it gets digestion working. I love it and cabbage rolls....miss them.

anne_likes_red

I've never heard of bone broth. Is it the same as stock?

Jenny

Jenny, yes it is but it can be cooked longer sometimes. I always used to make chicken stock by cooking a couple of hours.

I use a Weston Price/ GAPS type approach for bone broth which if my understanding is correct aims to cook long enough to release minerals and L Glutamate and preserve the gelatin (from smaller bones this will break down if it continues simmering), but not so long as to release another form of Glutamate which some people can be sensitive to....due to methylation issues I think!

HTH :)

susan

Anne,
No I have not used a probiotic but maybe I will have to. I have used to use the sugar loaf in Vancouver and here I tried them with no results. I love being scientific about my food. I call myself a research station. It makes this existence more interesting. The banana bread I made to day is so good ...gluten free...sugar free with walnuts, sunflower seeds and coconut oil gives it a nice flavour. Yes I slow cook my bones.

silicon

Biofilm Updates?

This thread has been quiet for a while. I was wondering how people were doing regarding the biofilm approach, and whether people seem to be making progress, or perhaps discovering the limitations of this approach.

I am intrigued with biofilm idea, especially since it’s been very difficult to make any fundamental progress regarding my gut issues for many years. I am planning to try the approach of Usman mentioned by Athene and others, with the enzymes (Kirkman biofilm defense) and chelators (EDTA) to target the biofilm structure, followed by bug-killers (oregano oil, caprylic acid) and binders (charcoal) to deal with pathogens and toxins hidden by the biofilm.

I am also starting the methylation approach outlined by Freddd, which perhaps is a good foundation for many things, including the biofilm protocol.

aquariusgirl

hi silicon
I have tried the biofilm protocol a couple of times. First time i used too many killers and was sick for 3 days. last time, i was more conservative....I ran a fecal metals test the day after which showed I was dumping nickel. Unknow if the biofilm triggered the release of the nickel, but glad to see it coming out as it showed up as a problem on my acumen tests.

On her you tube video, Usman says go slow, the detox/die-off can be severe. She is right. Make sure you use your binders.

silicon

hi aquariusgirl,

thanks for your response and the caution to go slow, and the reminder about binders. Given some of the experiences reported on this thread, including yours, I am a little nervous about this protocol, yet I feel compelled to try something. Although I may wait until I spend some time on the methylation protocol first.

I was also wondering: when you did the Usman protocol, how long were you on it? I believe she recommended at least 2 months (on one of the autism links), although I suppose that presumes one is making progress (however that can be determined) and isnt suffering horrid die-off or other unpleasant complications. I guess one shouldnt play around with stuff like chelators, bug-killers, or even binders for an extended period of time anyway.

S

Suzy

I have all the supps here to do the protocol. I'm also going to combine it with Dr. Pimentels protocol. I'm doing the hydrogen/methane test tomorrow so waiting to get those results before I start.

I was wondering if you are doing the EDTA qcquarius girl ? Just wondering what ccaused the nickel releae. Nickel also appeared as an issue in my 'Acumen tests, both on the translocater protein and as a DNA adduct on the SODase enzyme.

hi silicon
I have tried the biofilm protocol a couple of times. First time i used too many killers and was sick for 3 days. last time, i was more conservative....I ran a fecal metals test the day after which showed I was dumping nickel. Unknow if the biofilm triggered the release of the nickel, but glad to see it coming out as it showed up as a problem on my acumen tests.

On her you tube video, Usman says go slow, the detox/die-off can be severe. She is right. Make sure you use your binders.

aquariusgirl

Silicon
I have not used the biofilm protocol for any extended period of time. I have too many ups and downs just from doing methylation...When I'm wiped out from that,it's hard to find time to fit in other stuff.
Actually, I have used binders for probably 3 years now on an almost daily basis. I tend to take them when I get a toxin dump early in the morning... Invaluable for me... although probably a mixed blessing cos that stuff binds everything.
I also read on one autism board where one mom had her autistic kid on biofilm for a year.. I don't know if the kid was doing it everyday.. or whether it was just a regular part of their protocol.

Suzy: this last time I didn't use disodium EDTA cos I didn't have any. I was looking for a source actually. CLdn't find what I wanted on iherb.
I just used enzymes & caprillyic acid I think...
Honestly too early to know if nickel was related to the biofilm. I think I'd need to run a couple more FTMs to be sure of a link..
NOt heard of Dr Pimentel. Going to google him now.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Silicon,
Please let us know how you get on with the biofilm protocol.
I haven't tried it again after my really bad reaction the first time. Like Aquariusgirl, I'm getting a lot of ups and downs from methylation alone. Also I was a bit scared by what happened the first time around because the reaction was so powerful.
But I'd be v interested to hear how you get on.

aquariusgirl

athene
can u post about yr experience...as i can't see anything on this thread about your bad reaction. what did u take& what were the symptoms?
thanks