• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting used to glasses RX - how long should it take?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Something that the Optician mentioned in relation to astigmatism was glare and how coating on the lense could help with this. My old specs had a coating that was designed to cut down on this.

Just saw this. I have antireflective coating. The eye doctor just called me and is going to work with me. He said there was a pretty significant change in the the one eye that is really bothering.

I have an appt on October 10.

Thanks all for the help.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
My last pair of glasses had 15 focal lines (invisible) and they are corrective all the way to the outer edge plus one eye is different than the other eye now. It took me at least a month to adjust completely to these new ones. I got them 2 days before my insurance ran out, but I still had to pay almost $300 for them. The lenses were well over $300 and the frames were only $149, but they were so nice when I got used to them because it had been 10 years of bifocals with no anti-glare!

stridor

peggy-sue minkeygirl
The only time that I had a reaction to glasses like you have had the prescription was wrong. There is no way to adjust to this. It will be interesting to see if this is the case.
Many of us with mercury poisoning have problems with accommodation. This would mean that each morning it would take 20 min or more before I could focus on the computer screen...but eventually I could. This is because mercury pools in the visual parts of the brain and in the hypothalamus area where the 3rd cranial nerve passes on its way to the eyes. We also have less colour saturation.
The accommodation thing was one of my first symptoms to resolve when I was established in chelation.
Peggy-sue....what can you tell me about the nicotine product? Nicotine was a life-saver for me back in 2011 when I was hit the hardest. I don't smoke but nicotine patches made a difference and allowed me to be up instead of bedridden. It is neuroprotective against glutamate toxicity it seems. I don't take it now but will always be a big defender of nicotine as an adjunct treatment for ME/CFS.

peggy-sue

Stridor, I have stopped smoking (after 40 years) and converted to using an electronic nicotine vapouriser.:thumbsup:
I did start a thread about them, because giving up smoking has been a great help with all my symptoms -basically because I'm not poisoning myself any more. More oxygen getting around, no more carbon monoxide being put in, lungs healing etc.
There is a lot of information on the web about them, loads of forums. They are quite the new "phenomenon".

Like you, my brother-in-law, who is a non-smoker, uses one because of the beneficial effects of nicotine on his ME.
It's a mild cognitive stimulant. I'm quite delighted to be able to continue geting my nicotine in a really enjoyable manner, but now with virtually no potential downsides.

This is a link to the thread I started, perhaps we should continue there. :)
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...itched-to-using-electronic-vapourisers.24157/

stridor

I also have lattice degeneration which is basically holes in the periphery of the retinas. I used to get laser treatments until the Dr got too aggressive. I have my optometrist monitor for signs of deterioration now.
And I impaled my left eye on stick.....that hurt. Perhaps unsurprisingly, that is my weak eye now :) I told a clinic that I had blurred vision in order to justify testing for MS which wasn't going to happen otherwise. Not sure why they care when the waiting room is empty and I'm a paying customer. Anyway I did have CCSVI with blood flow back towards the brain....didn't know then that 90% of ME have this - could have saved myself some money.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thought I'd give you guys an update. I got a pair of single vision to use with my computer and I had no problem with them although OMG it was so freaking annoying to look up and not be able to see the TV. I refused to just give up at that point.

So I am now on my 3rd pair of progressives. I got the best progressives with anti reflective coating. These are better but still having problems. It's not the progression I have a problem with, I seem to have no problem with reading or distance but with computer, it feels like someone is pushing on the outer corner of my eyeball.

I currently have 2 other pairs of progressives that I am wearing with no problem so I just don't get it. I'm going to give the ones I got today more time and see.

I think my last shot is the same astigmatism fix and this RX. After that I guess I'll have to have a few pairs of glasses.

Meanwhile I have a pair of $400 glasses sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I HOPE he gives me a refund. There is no way I can afford to just have them sit there. He said he would work with me but I got a pair for $179 vs $400. Where would you buy them?

Has anyone tried Lined Bifocals? I'm tossing that around as an idea. I don't know how much the line would drive me nuts.

@KRR Did you have them custom make those lenses for you? I think what I want is progressives for far and computer but again, is it the lenses or the RX?

ARRGGHGGGH

stridor

Hi @minkeygirl
I have had progressives, bifocals and trifocals. The trifocals were fine and the middle lens was for computer and working with tools. Now that I have gotten used to progressive lenses I will likely stick with them but if someone told me that I had to go back to trifocals, it wouldn't ruin my day. There were aspects that I liked better. brad

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Hi @minkeygirl
I have had progressives, bifocals and trifocals. The trifocals were fine and the middle lens was for computer and working with tools. Now that I have gotten used to progressive lenses I will likely stick with them but if someone told me that I had to go back to trifocals, it wouldn't ruin my day. There were aspects that I liked better. brad

I'm on day 2 of the new glasses and I'm feeling optimistic about the RX. Using them on the computer was really hard and so far I'm ok. with the last 2 RX"s I would have stabbing pains in my eyes so this is progress.

I'd prefer to stick with these too which is why I'm pushing so hard. I got these for $179 from www.coastal.com and I have 366 days to return them so I have time to figure it out.

I'm just so crazy with my OCD and I think that line would drive me nuts on bifocals.

Now to get back the $370 I paid my eye doc for a pair of glasses laying on the shelf. He knows what I'm doing so hopefully he'll at least figure out the lenses and match the cost. What a mark up on these things.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@stridor Doing ok with these. I never would have made it this far with my older ones. The interesting things is when I take them off (I don't wear them watching TV I get eye pain. Then when I put them back on, I have to readjust all over again.

I mean it's been less than a day, why isn't this done yet? LOL