Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Getting to the bottom of Border Collie collapse

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Mar 14, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://www.aaha.org/blog/NewStat/po...-to-the-bottom-of-border-collie-collapse.aspx

Thought it was interesting as it sounds so familiar. @Ben Howell , worth highlighting to Ron?

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I'd like to know what the Workwell folks and Betsy Keller think of this also.

MEMum, Invisible Woman, Jan and 3 others like this.
  3. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Come on, clearly some spoiled, decontitioned, middle aged dogs who like to complain. I wonder what they would do if they didn't get any treats for free anymore. You know, other dogs have to work for their food, like herding dogs or guide dogs. ;)

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Are Border collies and Kelpies not working breeds anymore?

5. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Seriously? I guess in that case they're burned out and need to work on their type A personalities. :)

6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Listen you can say what you like about ME sufferers, but being unpleasant about dogs can get you into serious trouble, especially in the UK.

I know we have lot of dog lovers on the forum (judging by the recent avatar craze), but if a diagnostic marker and treatment is found for dogs before it's found for me I'm going to be thoroughly peeved.

dog.jpg
    I'll adopt a disguise if I have to.

7. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Haha, this is now officially my favorite post on PR, thank you for making me laugh so hard! :)
    And to make sure I'm not getting mails with Dylan lyrics from vocal young men: I'm a crazy dog person myself. :dog:

Sorry @AndyPR, for taking your thread a little off topic. :dog:

8. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    I don't know if anyone will find this clip interesting:

I have often thought Vets understand illnesses better than Dr.s - at least the ones I know....

9. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Unless of course it paves the way for a speedier solution for humans :)

10. TiredSam

Germany
    Sorry I'm not having that. A diagnostic marker and treatment for me can pave the way for a speedier solution for dogs with my blessing, but I'm not getting to the back of the queue behind a bunch of hounds.

A side product from a dog treatment. Honestly.

11. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Sorry, but I guess if you compared the exercise study on dogs with BCC with PACE, it would be
    Team Border Collies 1 vs. Team TiredSam 0. :dog:
    (Just kidding and I never read the BCC study, but it can't be worse than PACE.) ;)

12. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Is there something you dislike about my avatar, lol ? I have been a poodle from the start, nobody can take that away from me !

13. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    I did read the BCC study - and without doubt it is way better in terms of both science and compassion than the vast majority of research on ME/CFS.

Certainly I'd retrieve balls or chase sheep to get such a comprehensive investigation of my illness.

This one may be more effective.
    border collie.jpg

14. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    Lovin' the disguises :rofl:

And yep, I'd gladly chase balls or sheep for better research studies. Might need a quad bike though, though I'd probably end up running some over :eek:

MEMum, Plum, Invisible Woman and 6 others like this.
  15. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

I've always thought of myself as part cat, but now I'm thinking that I must be part dog too. Would explain why I'm always so dog-tired, and why I feel like my life has gone to the dogs...

I've been trying to tell my doctors for years that I simply can't muster the energy to herd more than a few ants, but they just don't understand. (I don't think the ants understand either - why I'm trying to herd them, I mean...)

I bet it was the psychobabblers who tricked everyone into thinking that the phrase, "let sleeping dogs lie," has a deeper meaning, when really it is just supposed to be taken literally... don't tell the poor dogs to GET up and exercise more...they can't...just let them rest, damn it!

Little Bluestem, MEMum, Dechi and 5 others like this.
  16. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

In a Superman outfit...?

Would make an interesting youtube video.

I'm not convinced the sheep would run though. I'm picturing them huddled in a group, giggling. (But then, I am picturing my unco awkward self trying to herd them, tripping over my cape, probably face planting in a cow pat or three in the process, so that might explain why they're laughing.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Little Bluestem, MEMum, Jan and 3 others like this.
  17. TiredSam

Germany
    Collecting Balls Therapy? Getting Ewes Together?

Little Bluestem, MEMum, Dechi and 5 others like this.
  18. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

That could be interpreted as a threat. But I am sure it could be of great psychological benefit to sufferers.

Little Bluestem, MEMum, Jan and 4 others like this.
  19. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I think we already are ... ? :):rolleyes:

Little Bluestem, MEMum, Plum and 7 others like this.
  20. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    A bit akin to the "Porridge" joke that goes something like "I'm collecting for the policeman's ball" ... "I can't dance" ... "it's not a dance, it's a raffle".

MEMum, Jan, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.