• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting the diagnos tech GI panel without a doctor?

Is it possible to get this test without a doctors order? Where from? If not where is the cheapest place my doctor could get it from?!
I'm in the uk but hoping to get it shipped.
Thanks so much for your help.

richvank

Is it possible to get this test without a doctors order? Where from? If not where is the cheapest place my doctor could get it from?!

Hi, harrycat.

I suggest that you email Diagnos Techs and ask them. Their email address is diagnos@diagnostechs.com

Best regards,

Rich

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

I think your doctor should be able to order the kit. I know Dr. De Meirleir (in Belgium) has them in his office and gives the kit to those he prescribes the test for. My forms give the price as $210. I think most labs supply the kits to doctors free--probably the cost of the kit is included in the test price.

You probably need a doctor's order to get this test. I had a quick look on the DirectLabs website and did not see it, but you might search there first as they supply lab tests directly to patients.

Sushi

slayadragon

Sushi, is this the test that you used to find out that you had some sort of gut pathogen, and that De Meirleir prescribed a targeted antibiotic to address?

Which pathogen was it? Which antibiotic?

Do you think that the antibiotic has had any positive effect on you? How do you feel about alternative treatments (such as herbs) vs. the antibiotic that you took?

Thanks much for your help.

Best, Lisa

Sushi

Sushi, is this the test that you used to find out that you had some sort of gut pathogen, and that De Meirleir prescribed a targeted antibiotic to address?

Which pathogen was it? Which antibiotic?

Do you think that the antibiotic has had any positive effect on you? How do you feel about alternative treatments (such as herbs) vs. the antibiotic that you took?

Thanks much for your help.
Best, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

No the test I had was RedLabs anaerobic gut/stool test--maybe the only anaerobic test available. I have the Diagnos-tech kit but haven't done it yet as they ask you to cut out all vitamins, minerals, anti-fungals, psyllium, etc. for 3 or 4 days and I am not sure I can do that.

The main anaerobic bacteria found was prevotella at 93%. I was prescribed 3 rounds of ABX, each round followed by intense probiotics. I have done 2 rounds so far. PM me if you would like to know the names of the drugs. I hesitate to post them as everyone is different and many things have to be taken into consideration in prescribing.

The first round helped a bit, the second (a different med) helped all my symptoms--not just gut (though it is a gut drug).

I have had pretty good results with gut infections in the past using herbals, but I think these targeted ABX are working better. Hard to say, though, what the downsides might be.

Best,
Sushi

Sushi

Sushi - does the red labs test do things that the diagnostechs one can't? Thanks so much.

As I understand it, the Redlabs test is the only one that uses some simple measures that make it an anaerobic test--thus it will find more of the anaerobic bacteria, which sometimes don't show in the usual stool tests.

I'd guess the two tests must be complementary or KDM wouldn't order them both.

Sushi

richvank

Sushi - does the red labs test do things that the diagnostechs one can't? Thanks so much.

Hi, harrycat.

I'm not Sushi, but the answer is yes. RedLabs offers a stool test that was developed by Dr. Butt (sorry about that! :)-)) in Australia. The unique thing about it is that the stool sample is sealed in a container together with an oxygen getter, so that the oxygen is removed from the environment of the stools during shipping and storage of the stool sample. The result is that the bacteria that are not able to survive in an oxygen-containing environment are able to survive and be placed in a culture in the lab that is free of oxygen, and thus multiply and be detected. As far as I know, no other stool tests have this capability. The stool samples have to be kept cool during shipping, and have to arrive at the lab fairly soon, so it is difficult for people who live at some distance from the lab to use this test.

Best regards,

Rich

Sushi

Hi, harrycat.
RedLabs offers a stool test that was developed by Dr. Butt (sorry about that! :)-)) in Australia. The unique thing about it is that the stool sample is sealed in a container together with an oxygen getter, so that the oxygen is removed from the environment of the stools during shipping and storage of the stool sample. The result is that the bacteria that are not able to survive in an oxygen-containing environment are able to survive and be placed in a culture in the lab that is free of oxygen, and thus multiply and be detected. As far as I know, no other stool tests have this capability. The stool samples have to be kept cool during shipping, and have to arrive at the lab fairly soon, so it is difficult for people who live at some distance from the lab to use this test.

Best regards,

Rich

Dr. Butt! :eek:That information could make this test almost fun! They should write it on the test kit box.

They use a super sealing bag and sort of a giant tea-bag-like thing to absorb oxygen. Other labs could do it too, but the materials cost a bit more...??? KDM has tried to get other labs to use this technology, but so far they haven't.

Sushi