1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Getting rid of silverfish without recourse to pesticides

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by sianrecovery, Dec 19, 2011.

1. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    We live in a block of flats, and now have silverfish. I am chemically sensitive and am trying to hold my husband back from nuking them with the nasties. Does anyone know an effective way to get rid of them without using pesticides?
  2. hurtingallthetimet

hurtingallthetimet Senior Member

have you checked to see if maybe moth balls will get rid of them? seems like my aunt told me that she uses moth balls for them..
    hope you get some good answers hate any kind of bugs
  3. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    We used some powder that supposedly isn't toxic unless inhaled. Not sure if that's good enough for your purposes. If you look up silverfish and powder I'm sure it will come up. Also keep your environment not too humid, if I remember right.
  4. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    I'm not sure if they are attracted to aspartame like ants are, but you can try sprinkling some nutrasweet around, see if that helps. I know ants die from it, just don't know if silverfish go for it.

I'm having a huge problem with stink beetles in my apartment. I haven't been able to go one single day of living here without killing up to four stink beetles a day. I can't stand it. I hate bugs.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    From the Dutch wikipedia article:

I also have found squishing them to be highly effective, as well as satisfying :D
  6. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I thought I had silverfish, turned out to be firebrats. Anyway, I did a lot of research on silverfish and found an ebook. The answer was to remove sources of moisture and food. Food is cardboard, paper etc. I believe the author put all his stuff in plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes.
    The powders you can try are boric acid or diatomaceous earth. Maybe also some sticky traps.
    Moth balls would most likely be bad for someone with MCS.

Here is the link to the ebook http://www.getridofsilverfish.com/
  7. sianrecovery

Manchester UK
    thanks guys, thats really helpful, and the dutch wikipedia entry made me laugh xxxx
  8. sianrecovery

Manchester UK
    I just paid for and downloaded the e book mentioned above. Its pretty self-evident stuff, but useful. Dont pay $20 for it, email me and I will email it to you

See more popular forum discussions.