• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting re-started, sorting things out

Hello,

I've been lurking here for a few days and reading threads, different protocols. Isn't it ironic that a condition that requires massive amounts of reading, discerning and planning is something that can take away your mental facilities? I'm overwhelmed with information.

I've resolved this year to stop pretending this isn't part of my life and start to do something about it. I am not sure if CFS is due to digestive or viral reasons - but I have indicators of both. I have Candida overgrowth, thyroid problems, had Mono in 4th grade, have EBV in my system and have a wheat allergy.

I am not sure where to start or what to do next. I started a strict diet after Christmas with no wheat, no sugar and no dairy. I am trying to stay on that completely, but have had a few slip ups. I am supplementing with garlic, an anti-candida supplement, general vitamins (lots of b100, b12, magnesium, ribose, probiotics, a natural thyroid supplement, st john's wort). I have no health insurance currently but in 2008 finally got some testing done. My thyroid produces anti-t4, and this is also when I found out about the EBV (I do not remembering having it) in my system, as well as the confirmation of the wheat allergy that I suspected. The doc at the time recommended Armour Thyroid, Covalen M and a Type O diet (similar to a paleo/atkins plan).

I've been reading the various protocols and am not sure what methylation is or whether I'm a candidate for this type of protocol. I do know that candida has been a long term problem and while it won't solve everything, reducing it may help.

My questions are - has anyone had success in reducing candida overgrowth and did it help with cfs symptoms?
And would one of the methylation protocols be in addition to what I am already taking or would I substitute that protocol for my current supplements?

Thank you for any help - this is very difficult without financial or energetic resources.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Sophali,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, there is a huge amount of info here and it can be very confusing. Just read slowly. If you click on "what's new" at the top of the page, you will be able to follow the "hot topics."

Yes, many of us have reduced our candida load and, for me, it did lessen a lot of symptoms, but not really ME symptoms--candida symptoms which just add to the misery. Still, it is an important thing to deal with.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Thanks for the information on candida. I have been browsing through the what's new, and it seems like many threads are speaking a different language. I am not sure what methylation, methylb12, methylcobalium, ampligen, b12 start up or many of the other terms listed in the what's new section are. Is there a general dictionary? List of protocols? I've found two in my research here - but aren't sure when they are necessary or appropriate.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks for the information on candida. I have been browsing through the what's new, and it seems like many threads are speaking a different language. I am not sure what methylation, methylb12, methylcobalium, ampligen, b12 start up or many of the other terms listed in the what's new section are. Is there a general dictionary? List of protocols? I've found two in my research here - but aren't sure when they are necessary or appropriate.

If you look through the menus here: http://phoenixrising.me/

You will find a lot of useful information. Otherwise, it just takes a lot of reading. You can also open chat and talk to individual members about things they have posted or join one of the group chats and ask questions.

At the moment you are not signed into chat. To do so, click on the small icon at the lower right hand side of the screen.

Best,
Sush

P.S. Today only, you can download a free ebook on ME/CFS and its treatment, from Amazon. The instructions are here: http://www.cfstreatmentguide.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-a-treatment-guide-2nd-edition.html

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Sophali, and welcome.
It sounds like you already have a plan underway - anticandida, diet etc and i would think about sticking with that for a while to see how it goes.

Treating my severe systemic candida (diet and supplements for about a year) helped with brain fog, anxiety and general well being. Still got the M.E symptoms, but it was good to deal with it. I had a stool test recently and no yeasts showed up on it and i havent had thrush in my mouth or throat (even after antibiotics) for a very long while. You also need to give the no wheat a long while to settle things down.

Please dont stress about trying to understand everyhting on here - you cant do everything at once.
Take care,
Justy.

taniaaust1

I've resolved this year to stop pretending this isn't part of my life and start to do something about it. I am not sure if CFS is due to digestive or viral reasons - but I have indicators of both. I have Candida overgrowth, thyroid problems, had Mono in 4th grade, have EBV in my system and have a wheat allergy

My suggestion to you would be to currently focus solely on those things for 6 mths.. ALL of them at once as treating one thing at a time would mean maybe years before you notice a difference. You may well find that you treat these all and even then notice not much change but hopefully you will. To do more then that probably will be to overwhelm you with treatments and u really need to know how much of your current symptoms are related to those above issues before taking guesses of what else may be wrong.

I suggest after 6mths then look into other treatments too eg methylation protocol can really help some of us (by that time if you are hanging around this site you will have more understanding of things and what you'd like to try next).

I used to have a lot of issues with Candida and used to even take antifungal prescription drug at times due to it... I dont notice it nowdays but treating it thou diet and other means didnt help the ME/CFS for me. Diet changes thou are often useful for those who have ME/CFS but unfortunately each of us tends to need different diets.

best luck

anna8

Hi sophali!
I,m new here so I recognize the feeling of the amount of information being overwhelming!
and I too don't understanding a lot of what is said! Thought is was me being a bit thick! Lol..
But as you can tell everyone round here is very willing to help!
I had a really bad candida problem diagnosed about months 8 ago! I've been doing a similar program to you and yes it has made me feel better!
For me personally I can't separate the CFS/me symptom with the candida symptoms because all I know is I have been chronically ill with something that the doctor don't understanding And I have a lot of the CFS/me symptoms!
Things that have improved since changing my diet are I less anxious, the brain fog is better, my digestion has improved but I have to stick to the diet which I know is not easy! And in general my health has improved!
So I think it is a good place to start!
For what it,s worth I'm at the start with you!
Hopefully!! As they say .. from here the only way is up!!
Best wishes anna8

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement. I've known about the wheat for so long, and haven't done anything about it until just a few weeks ago. I am so impatient with my life not being lived, and my responsibilities falling by the wayside and "friends" and relatives thinking that I am lazy. In retrospect it hasn't been that long that I've been completely wheat free. I am just ready to get on with my life and mourning the life that I can't have.