• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting my blood tested again this week. What should I ask for?

boo85

Hi. If you're not familiar with my story, I have had B12 deficiency symptoms for 2 years now, as well as a recently diagnosed B6 toxicity (taking anywhere between 50 - 120mg B6 EVERY DAY for about 3 years.)

You can find more of my story and the blood test results from 2014 in this thread - http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/boos-healing-with-b12-journal.32813/

I am thinking of getting these tested:

B6
B12
iron/folate/ferritin (I've been very low in iron, iron saturation and ferritin and am supplementing)
Vitamin D
General Chemistry including potassium (but even then it can vary from hour to hour)
Glucose
Cholesterol
Estrogen

Anything else you think I should have? I'm in Australia and my GP is fairly accommodating when it comes to requests for blood tests, but having said that I've only asked for the most basic of tests so far.

So I don't have to pay for any tests. The only roadblock that I might come against is if she doesn't think it's necessary for me to have a certain test. But I can try anyway.

Valentijn

From what I recall, holo-transcobalamin (holoTC) shows how well you're using B12. There's been a lot of research regarding it, so it might be a pretty mainstream test from larger labs by now. It looks like Quest Diagnostics offers the test, and they also operate in Australia.

Critterina

Serum amino acid panel. You want to be sure you have enough methionine, given your B12 deficiency and your MTRR, BHMT-08, and CBS SNPs. All of these SNPs affect the level of homocysteine that they find (MTRR and BHMT increase it, one of the CBS reduces it.) My point is that normal homocysteine doesn't mean a lot if your methionine is low. Other patterns in the results can suggest other things, too. I find it very useful.

CBC (complete blood count). High MCV can indicate functional deficiency of B9 and B12. And of course many other things, too.