May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Getting magnesium into cells

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by girlfromeurope, Dec 28, 2014.

1. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope Senior Member

Belgium
    Hi I have a magnesium deficiency but magnesium pills don't help.
    I also had a b6 deficiency and I'm supplementing that. I think my b6 levels are going up( symptoms improving) but I still keep having low mag symptoms. Are there other cofactors to get magnesium into the cells?

2. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I take MG lacate and MG glycinate/malate orally, but I recently started taking really strong epsom salt baths, 3 cups instead of the recommended 1-2 cups. It helps my sleep more than the oral forms. I soak for 15 minutes in the bath.

A lot of people like the MG transdermal oil, but I find it unbearable. It itches the bejesus out of me even though you only have to have it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. Still, you might consider it if you don't have sensitive skin.

Transdermal MG is supposed to be more absorbable than oral forms.

girlfromeurope likes this.
  3. girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I'm already using magnesium sprays on my skin and magnesium glycinate.

4. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Anyone doing injections?

5. girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I've read on a site that copper and boron may help. Does someone has experience with this?

6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Perhaps this isn't the right form for you. How do you know that your supplementation isn't working?

7. girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I keep having low magnesium symptoms, normally they always went away when I took magnesium. Now they don't anymore.

8. Gondwanaland

Could you describe them?

9. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    It's possible you're either missing a magnesium synergist or you may be taking an antagonist too close to the magnesium:
    This is @Gondwanaland's favorite site for supplement interactions: http://www.acu-cell.com/acn2.html

girlfromeurope and Gondwanaland like this.
  10. Gondwanaland

@picante another possibility is that she has too much magnesium.

11. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Is that possible by taking it oral and transdermal?

12. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    I see you are from Belgium. The ELN lab in the Netherlands offers a comprehensive RBC check for minerals. Maybe you want to follow up with a magnesium and other minerals test in RBC, not serum. That gives a more realistic view of what's going on in your cells.

13. PointsNorth

PointsNorth Paulo

LeftCoast Canada
    Just to chime in. I have MS and take magnesium for spasticity (stiffness). It is time-released and so it is easy on bowels. Company name: Jigsaw Health. It includes B6.

PN

girlfromeurope likes this.
  14. girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I think I'm going to try taking boron, anyone had success with that?

15. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Check my thread on high magnesium.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-magnesium-beware.34632/

16. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    Many people can't absorb enough magnesium from oral supplements to cure their magnesium deficiency. It sounds like at some point you could, but our bodies change with time, and it sounds like oral magnesium is no longer sufficient. Adding other supplements won't help this significantly. Your problem is not that you're not getting magnesium into the cells; it's that you're not getting it out of your gut and into your system.

The best way to get magnesium into your system is Magnesium by injection. However, this requires the cooperation of a doctor and a prescription, which may be difficult for you to get. The next best method is Magnesium by nebulizer. You need to get a nebulizer and pharmaceutical grade Epsom salts to do this.

If this is not possible where you live, you can either use magnesium chloride on your skin, or Epsom salts in your bath. You can find directions for these in Magnesium - treating a deficiency. These don't deliver as much magnesium as the nebulizer or the injection, but they should still be sufficient for getting rid of your deficiency symptoms.
    As I have replied in a post later in that thread, I think that the tone and conclusions of that post are unwarranted, and many statements in that post presented as facts are simply not true. As @girlfromeurope has stated that she has a magnesium deficiency that is not being addressed by oral supplements, it seems only reasonable to use more intensive forms of supplementation, applied properly. As I mentioned in my post, this simply means supplementing magnesium with potassium and calcium, and making sure that sodium intake is sufficient. Taurine also helps the absorption of magnesium into the cells.

NK17, girlfromeurope and Gingergrrl like this.
  17. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    Taurine supposedly helps to transport minerals in and out of cells. Might be worth a try.

Edit: Ha oops ZZZ said it already.

NK17 and girlfromeurope like this.
  18. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I just ordered magnesium chloride bath salts so I can compare them to the magnesium sulfate in epsom salts. Has anyone tried both forms of bath salts?

19. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Yes. I tolerate both with no side effects. I seem to like the magnesium chloride better, but I'm not sure why. Mine are from Ancient Minerals.

20. veganmua

veganmua Senior Member

London, UK
    Thank you! I've been taking all my supplements at once, but I was wondering about their interactions and I've been meaning to look it up. This is just the kind of site I've been looking for!

See more popular forum discussions.