• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting back into exercise (Running)

M Paine

Thanks @Doublepush, that Garmin looks really great.

Another one which has caught my eye from the Facebook Group posted earlier is the Polar A360

And also empatica seem to do wrist monitors that measure additional health statistics as well, which can also help people who suffer from seizures, pretty neat https://www.empatica.com/index

I ended up buying the Fitbit Charge HR, which also does 24/7 heart beat monitoring and sleep monitoring. It's been great to look at the data and how it relates to my symptom severity etc.

I have now used the Vivosmart HR for a while. The sleep tracking is not very accurate, but tracking amount of deep sleep is quite interesting.

I usually have three deeps sleep periods. When my wife tested it, she had 6. I have also noticed that the amount of deep sleep has much more impact on next day energy than total amount of sleep.

I also tried to run with it. In normal use it does messure pulse every 30 seconds or so, but when exercising I think it is more like a normal heart rate monitor showing it every 1 second. Now I have PEM from that running test. It is just lacking electric shock that could stop me from over doing it...

Mel9

Thanks so much for posting this:)

Thanks for this video which I found very helpful. I will now look into strength training instead of aerobic exercise which always makes me collapse with PEM. I use a FitBit. When I try to walk (very slowly) I need to stop and sit down when my bpm goes high and I find myself puffing wildly. I then rest until my heart rate goes down to 110bpm. This prevents PEM mostly but not always. Although I used to love running I now know I will never be able to run again. Very sad but there is more to life than running. Maybe I can start enjoying push ups instead? Interestingly last week I tried peddling (slowly) a Hobie (type of canoe with peddles) with my husband and survived - (tired but no flu symptoms, although spent most of the day resting afterwards). Why could I do this? maybe because it involved sitting and leaning back rather than standing upright. maybe because I could peddle VeRY slowly and checked my bpm constantly.

helen1

@Mel9 Have you tried swimming? It's the one sort of aerobic exercise I can do. Can also do weights. The swimming I get away with I think because I can go slowly enough to keep my heart rate down and I'm not upright. It feels wonderful.

I have now used the Vivosmart HR for a while. The sleep tracking is not very accurate, but tracking amount of deep sleep is quite interesting.

I usually have three deeps sleep periods. When my wife tested it, she had 6. I have also noticed that the amount of deep sleep has much more impact on next day energy than total amount of sleep.

I also tried to run with it. In normal use it does messure pulse every 30 seconds or so, but when exercising I think it is more like a normal heart rate monitor showing it every 1 second. Now I have PEM from that running test. It is just lacking electric shock that could stop me from over doing it...

I'm contemplating buying this pulse monitor. Does the Vivosmart have an alarm function that buzzes when you're above your AT?

I'm contemplating buying this pulse monitor. Does the Vivosmart have an alarm function that buzzes when you're above your AT?
no it does not have the alarm. I do not recommend the Vivosmart amymore. Basic reason is that in 24/7 HR mode the measurement interval is like a minute or two. Way long time. Also with more usage I have found it is not that accurate. I guess we have to wait a few years before optical HR is really good.

M Paine

Thanks to everyone that posted. It's been 10 months since I made this thread.

In case anyone else arrives here because they themselves are asking the same question, "how can I gently start getting back into jogging/running", I thought I'd share my experience.

I gave up on the idea of jogging or running, and instead focused on gentle resistance training at the gym, I started out doing around 20 minutes of gentle training. I can now do 1h 20mins, including a 1km brisk treadmill walk (6kmph) warm up on the treadmill. I don't suffer from PEM after doing this.

I'm not in remission, a month ago, I went for a swim after an absense of > 12 months (I used to swim regularly). I couldn't help myself and did 50 meters of butterfly stroke. I find that it's a 'fun' stroke to do, however it's very much an anaerobic excercise. That triggered PEM, and was a stern reminder that anaerobic excercise is a strong trigger of PEM.

I'm positive that there are a lot of different levels of illness in ME/CFS, for which I'm blessed to be fortunate enough to be able to do this type of moderate excercise. I'm not suggesting that it's for everyone, but if you're a mild case and are looking to excercise, I hope that you take it easy. The hardest thing about dragging myself to the gym hasn't been the excercise, it's been slowing myself down, and taking it easy.

Better to do 10 more moderate reps, than 10 strenuous ones for example. Taking big breaks between sets, letting the metabolic pathways recharge properly. Not getting a sweat on, monitoring the heart-rate for signs of over-exertion. It all works, and I've gained muscle mass. the excercise has also helped with various gut issues and digestion.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciated it all. That Mark VanNess video is top notch.

Last edited: