1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gestalt's Genova, 23andMe & Yasko Methylation genetic results

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Gestalt, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    I would be careful before jumping to conclusions and assuming - saying it's the "protein", or the "glutamine" in you shake that is making you tired...

Could also be any one of these OTHER ingredients:

Proprietary non-GMO protein blend (rice protein, pea protein, and soy [isolated soy protein and fermented soy]), Fructose, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Vanilla Flavor, FOS (Fructooligosaccharides), Guar Gum, Psyllium, Maltodextrin, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Oxide, Oat Bran, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Spirulina, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Choline Birartrate, Inositol, apple pectin, Bee Pollen, Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Fumarate, Calcium Pantothenate, Lecithin, Lemon Bioflavonoids, Papaya, Bromelain, Chlorophyll, Pyridoxine HCI, Riboflavin, Thiamin (Vitamin B-1) (as Thiamine HCl), Vitamin B-12, Ergocalciferol, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Selenate, Sodium Molybdate
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133797

Right of the bat I see one of the first ingredients and therefore a higher amount is "Vanilla Flavor" which is a dead give away for MSGlutamate. Almost ALL flavors including natural, are hidden forms of glutamates. They make me tired as hell.

Get a protein powder with NO additives and see if it makes a difference. I know for me it does.
    roxie60 likes this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus

how much yucca do you take ? and how? and also how much DIM? and what brands do you use? thanks.
  3. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus

Hi Gestalt

Im curious about the RNA´s,how many drops do you take a day? they don´t seem to last very long and are quite expensive.
    Do you reduce the dosage after a while? when your condition is stable?
    Also do you have to take them forever to bypass the gene mutations you have?

thanks
  5. tim0011

tim0011

I'm just curious is there any other site like GeneticGenie to convert raw data into Yasko-like chart?
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    I take the SHMT and Ammonia Support RNA. I take 2 drops, 3 x a day (6 drops total per day) per RNA.
    I will probably take them for a few more years, and then experiment going off them and seeing if it makes a difference. It's possible I may be on them for life. I just see it as a highly refined form of food and we need to eat until we die. Same with most of my supplements. It's a form of health insurance.

No, I don't believe so.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus

Hi Gestalt,got some more question for you

How much apple pectin do you take and how?
    Is it ok if you taking yucca with medication? will it absorb the medication? example,taking before sleeping (i take sleeping aids)
    How did you start the program? first the RNA´s ? and then Methylation support? (Methylmate A and B,etc...)

thanks
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    I was taking 1 capsule a day, now I don't take any, just eat apples and sometimes take Malic Acid.

Yucca should be fine with medication, Haven't read anything about possible interactions in the medical literature.

I first started with general Methylation support, Methylmate B and Metabolic support supplements and then after moved on to RNA's...first the generic support ones, and then gene specific one at a time to see effects over multiple weeks and months.
  9. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    hi Gestalt, I just want to say hi & thank you for posting this thread: "Hi. Thank you for posting this thread!"

a few months back your 1st post prompted me to get a kit from 23andme. I was sure my COMT was defunct. Results are just in and I'm laughing. No COMT problems but VDR Taq is ++ which acts the same (somewhat).

your inspiration and my results now make sense of all the remedies I've found already for my fatigue but cannot explain to 'normal people': use lots of vit.D; heal the gut; balance estrogens with bio-identical progesteron; coax yourself out of Fight or Flight and into Rest & Digest every day; eat small portions of high fat and good protein and stay away from flavourings, especially vanillin because this particular makes me desperate for the time it's in my system.

my doctor is mystified by all my B12-shortage-symptoms whilst I've got good blood levels. Wait till I tell him MTR A2756G and MTRR A66G are ++ and MTRR A664A, MTHFR A1298C and MTHFR C677T are +/-. We'll be laughing together! I'll be ordering a Methyl-B12 supplement soon.

But first I'm researching some more. Shouldn't start supplementing specific things out of the blue, I think. Especially since CBS A360A and BHMT-08 are +/- too. Gotta look into that first.
    Anyway. Thanks again. Best wishes from Anna.

ps. guess what. I had to get out of the city and the noise years ago to heal. Couldn't explain it. Doctor wonders how I grew as sensitive as someone with Autism. And now I read about GABA? this stuff cracks me up!
  10. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

caledonia
    Hi there, I've received my 23andme back & ran it through Genetic Genie. I would love to determine my cyp status as I suffer from +++impaired estrogen metabolism. Do you know a way I can do this? Star:)
  11. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Sure, just use the Detox Profile at geneticgenie.
  12. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

caledonia
    Bingo! Thanks for the amazing work you do on this site:)
  13. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Great thread,

Somebody suggested a supplement called OKG
    could be an alternative way to scavenge ammonia and get glutatmine in to the system.​

Articles below provide some food for though. Any thoughts?

I have problems with excitotoxicity, so aware of needing to be cautious about trying stuff that may create more glutamate.

Probably easiest to try it out, but probably nothing special with OKG, or else everybody would be using it already. :)

Glutamine conversion by itself can give off ammonia? May explain why some have trouble with glutamine by itself?

From another article:

14. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada

Thanks for the article links!

I had begun researching this more in depth and was experimenting around a bit, but didn't get around to doing anything thoroughly. Through my research I got conflicting messages.

You can see my unfinished thought process here: http://www.gestaltreality.com/2013/07/23/anxiety-ammonia-the-nmda-receptor/

My worry with AKG was that if ammonia is a byproduct of bacteria from gut dysbiosis, then you could be trading one excitotoxin with another by producing excess glutamate. Which one is worse? Glutamate or ammonia?

Thanks for bringing the OKG to my attention, I haven't looked at that one yet. Perhaps it is safer and more effective than strict AKG? I would be willing to try it in the future. Have you tried it?
    roxie60 likes this.
  15. taroki

taroki Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    Oh wow ... great post!

I also have the "tired but wired, anxiety, excess muscle tension along the spine and neck, brain fog, psychological fatigue, memory loss", especially the tight shoulders/neck part which when it was really bad I could not even sleep because it is so uncomfortable! Nothing seems to help, even detoxing lymph nodes would make it come right back. So it is from ammonia build up? Should I just use L-Ornithine and Yucca, or do I need Nitrous Oxide also to get rid of the tightness? According to this article it says "Avoid drugs which increase homocysteine such as Nitrous Oxide" : http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/
    I am waiting for my 23andMe test kit and I don't know my exact genome yet but I feel so excited whenever I try new supplements!

I also have seen many doctors/naturopaths and spent so much money trying to find out what is wrong with me. I have fibromyalgia, Aspergers, ADHD, Bipolar, very weak muscles, etc. Also had low side of normal blood pressure since I was a kid (fainting all of a sudden, disoriented getting up, etc).
  16. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    Hmmm, I am not sure what the rationale behind that is (Dr.Ben) because one of the main pathways that detoxes ammonia is the NOS pathway which you can see on the methylation diagram in my 2nd post.

One thing I recently learned is that I have Candida-fungus and it produces mycotoxins, Alcohol & CO2. The CO2 will definitely cause brain fog, and I think it's what is also partly behind the muscle tension issue in those of us who are SNS dominant. I took Candex and it got rid of my brain fog in 24hrs!!!, and also helped my muscles feel considerably more relaxed.
  17. taroki

taroki Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    hmm ... interesting. I thought probiotics/caprylic acid gets rid of candida/yeast? Haven't heard of Candex before.
  18. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    Those would help, but not nearly as much as the enzymes. It is the single best thing you can take and not experience die off symptoms, everything else is supplementary. Check out http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/ for lots of good info.
  19. taroki

taroki Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    Cool thanks, will check it out! I wonder if they carry it at the local stores here in Canada.

So when exactly would you take this vs. taking regular probiotics/caprylic acid?
  20. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Tired but wired is probably GABA/glutamate imbalance. You can try taking theanine or GABA. Note GABA is more powerful than theanine, so where I was taking 2 theanines, I was only taking 1/2 GABA. I was taking those three times a day. I say "was" because my need for these cleared sometime after I started methylation.

Avoid nitrous oxide (as in anesthesia) unless you want to get much worse. It's not just Ben Lynch saying this; it's an observation common for ME/CFS patients.

The yucca would be for CBS and possibly BHMT mutations causing an overload on SUOX. There could also be SUOX mutations but 23andme doesn't cover that SNP.

I suggest waiting until your results are in before starting supplements (except maybe theanine/GABA), as it's easy to make yourself worse. If you're itching to get started, an overall functional test such as the Nutreval test can be very valuable information for guiding treatment.

See more popular forum discussions.