1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

German study finds xmrv

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by bel canto, May 18, 2010.

1. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

With a 3-4% general rate, Kati, you probably have had many exposures as a nurse.
  2. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    Perhaps it is obvious to everybody but me, but it seems there actully 2 events we need to discuss and without making a distinction the conversation gets more confusing. The first is exposure to XMRV and the second is actually contracting the virus.

We must somehow be more susceptible to contracting the virus once we are exposed. This would seem to be a faulty layer in the immune system that precedes any damage done by XMRV. Genetics is one reasonable hypothesis.

As a result I can't see XMRV being the entire cause of what ails us, but that is not to say XMRV doesn't do most of the damage. We just don't know.

Fire away smart people!

:)
  3. bluebell

bluebell Guest

My dad went to boarding school there. If you could see the way he loads a dishwasher you would understand;-)
  4. Kati

Kati Patient in training

The sad part is it would be very hard for worker's compensation board to accept this kind of exposure- they want a source- in order to explain infection and insure this was not caught outside of work. Interestingly, should firefighters get throat or lung cancer, they get compensated, regardless whether they smoke- and WCB will never ask them to prove from which house they got the exposure from...
  5. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

That might change based on all this info, coming out.
  6. awol

awol *****

Kati,

This is a form of machismo. Those guys (mostly men) being rewarded for their "bravery". Nursing not seen as "brave". Ridiculousness.
  7. Rivotril

Rivotril Senior Member

I havent got the energy to read to whole thread, so sorry if this was asked before:
    but what was the patient group that was studies here diagnosed by? ME/CFS? and on which criteria?
    I just read immunocompromised...
  8. Nina

Nina Senior Member

Or maybe not, it might be the same way I (used to) load a dishwasher ;)
  9. Rivotril

Rivotril Senior Member

Think I understand it, they just compared controls with immunocompromised patients.
    the latter one have more chance of catching an infection or something like that, like the chance you get HIV by e.g. sexual contact/blood is also larger when your immune system is already bad.
    like omarbasket mentioned above, the 4%-98% difference makes it very unlikely that in case of ME/CFS is an opportunistic kind of thing
  10. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

this study does not have a cfs component. It's looking at xmrv related to respiratory issues, and includes an immunosuppressed group that is post-transplant, etc.
  11. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

I don't know. I think that it might also be possible that every human being have the same opportunity to get infected with XMRV, and we are people who got infected with XMRV somehow - might be just coincidental and not due to defects in our immune system - and after getting infected with XMRV for some reason we got sick and other infected with XMRV remained healthy (it's possible that for some genetic reason we are susceptible to getting sick due to XMRV whereas they are not).
  12. paddygirl

paddygirl Senior Member

I know that this is off topic but not sure where to put it. (As usual, I didn't read the small print) Today the WPI site had an article about clearing XMRV from blood, inactivation? It gives a link to the company working with the WPI. Dying to know what it means, I think it's significant but not sure, anyone here seen it?
  13. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

we don't have enough info on exposure rates and infection rates in various non-cfs groups - just hints here and there. I'll bet there's a lot of work going on to resolve those issues!
  14. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

I think that link relates to possibly clearing xmrv from blood that's been donated. May have no benefit to an infected person.
  15. gu3vara

gu3vara Senior Member

Perhaps some people with autoimmune diseases are more likely to get sick for example, I have hashimoto thyroiditis and it's pretty common among CFS patients. Hypothyroidism depressed the immune system substantially.
  16. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Didn't Dr. M recently suggest XMRV maybe relating to bowel disease too? It could have it's fingers in many pies.
  17. Hi I don't know if you mean 4 years, or the Dr Coffin guess of XMRV being around at '40' years? But yes XMRV is in Europe for sure or people with ME CFS would't keep testing positive for it who were born here and have never left Europe.

XMRV doesn't exist in the UK according to Wessely & McClure - they say. ''If it was there, we would have found it''. And the other classic: "We are confident that our results show there is no link between XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome, at least in the UK. Egg on face much for the Imperial College London I think. I wonder how stupid they will look in the next few months!!!! Did they realliy think no one else would bother looking at XMRV? :victory:
  18. girlinthesnow

girlinthesnow Senior Member

Interesting thought, this is my situation too and timing with gettting ill corresponds also.
  19. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    The susceptibility could very likely be down to different genetic polymorphisms related to cell membrane receptors that allow or don't allow xmrv to enter cells (XPR1 is one known receptors, there are likely some others...).

For example HIV uses CCR5 as a co-receptor to penetrate cells, individuals with certain CCR5 polymorphisms are more resistant to HIV infection or to neurological damage by HIV etc etc

The other factor could be genetic polymorphisms in APOBEC and similar immune pathways, related to cellular immunity, ie ways of dealing with xmrv once inside the cell...

There are many other genetic susceptibilty factors but imo those will turn out the most important in determining who gets sick and who does not, as far as genes are related.
  20. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

I recently heard that there were 2 new studies coming out within the next week - one confirmatory and one negative. I am unsure if this is the confirmatory one or if there is another coming down the pipeline...

See more popular forum discussions.