• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gentle Liver flush?

Does anyone know of a recipe for a gentle liver flush?

I think i have some sort of subclinical galbladder problem causing fat intolerance and i would like to try. Castor oil packs have not helped neither has juicing beets.

THe full on flush looks very damaging and i would probably vomit.

thanks

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does anyone know of a recipe for a gentle liver flush?

I think i have some sort of subclinical galbladder problem causing fat intolerance and i would like to try. Castor oil packs have not helped neither has juicing beets.

THe full on flush looks very damaging and i would probably vomit.

thanks

Lemon juice is very good for cleansing the liver the gallbladder and can help with digestion and is gentle. I buy the bottled stuff - I know fresh lemons are better but they are expensive. I add juice to water and sip it through a straw to protect tooth enamel. Milk thistle can also help, and dandelion tea. I've taken all of these, and still take milk thistle.

I used to have subclinical gallbladder problems some 15 years ago or so. My chiropractor who does muscle testing found this (I was having digestive problems). He gave me AF Betafood by Standard Process and this stuff is amazing. It's derived from beets but has other ingredients as well (https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/A-F-Betafood#.V8L4FfBTGpo)

I had to take a fair amount, maybe nine tablets a day in divided doses for a couple of weeks. It is food based so you can take it with or without food. Eventually I had to do a liver detox under the guidance of my chiro - he gave me Parotid PMG and Cholacol II by Standard Process. This was sort of rough but I stuck it out for a month and afterwards my liver was way better. I had had toxins built up from a job I'd had many years ago where I had heavy exposure to chemical solvents.

The other thing I learned was that my stomach acid was low and this contributes to gallbladder/liver problems. I started taking betaine hcl w/pepsin with meals, particularly high protein meals or meals with fat and my digestion is good now.

There's a baking soda burp test which can help determine if your stomach acid is low:
On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water (about 8 oz.) into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). See how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped in two minutes, your stomach acid production is low.

The chiropractor was amazing - he helped me so much, I think a regular doctor would have ended up yanking out my gallbladder and solving nothing.

Interestingly, Standard Process products are cheaper when you get them through a chiropractor. They're a fair amount more if you buy them on Amazon.

Cheesus

Curcumin is incredibly effective at stimulating gall bladder emptying. When I first started using it I was made horrendously sick. Obviously I cannot say why, but it was classic headache and nausea you would usually associate with detox symptoms. Having said that, I did have very high liver enzymes at the time so i do not think other people would experience this same thing. It wore off after a bit.

Curcumin also enhances phase 2 liver detoxification (conjugation) by stimulating glucuronidation and glutathione synthesis.

Milk thistle is not particularly good for flushing the liver because it slows down phase 1 detoxification. So whilst it is true that the liver might benefit from that, what you're actually doing is preventing toxins being taken up into the liver which isn't necessarily good for the rest of the body. Phase 1 detoxification can activate some carcinogens, so milk thistle can protect the liver from carcinogenesis. However a better approach is to stimulate phase 2 detoxification to make sure carcinogens move through freely rather than getting stuck in the liver between phase 1 and phase 2 detoxification. Again, curcumin is highy effective.

A lot of things that influence the liver can effect the speed at which medications are broken down. Sometimes, as in the case of milk thistle, that means things take longer to break down. With curcumin, however, they are likely to move through more quickly. If you are on any essential medication you need to take into account that the effects of that medication can either be enhanced or diminished by making interventions which significantly impact the rate of liver detoxification.

Plum

I take NOW Liver detoxifier and regenerator - it's very gentle and I take it daily.