The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Genetic mutation contradictions

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by jumpman123, Nov 23, 2015.

1. jumpman123

jumpman123

Hello! I'm pretty new to this community, but I've recently come across it and admired the collection of information and support. I've recently been researching my SNPs and found a lot of connections between what I feel and some of the researched symptoms of people with my mutations. My main symptoms include:
    • Brain fog
    • Fatigue
    • Less "agile" or "sharp" thinking
    • Depression/anxiety
    • Oversleeping and unfulfilled sleep
    • Overall feeling of being on a mental deficit
    Incorporating a lifestyle of exercise, proper diet and sleep hygiene has helped, but because of the recent research I've done on my genetics, I'd really like to address some of these mutations and supplement the deficits caused by them.

Here's my methylation analysis from genetic genie: http://i.imgur.com/XmDWYvp.png
    Here's my nutrahacker detox report: https://www.nutrahacker.com/detoxRe...omer_376d1a95-eacd-4a34-ad23-1648f35dceb1.pdf

My confusion stems from my COMT and VDR mutations. I've been supplementing 1mg b12 sublingual methylcobalamin and 450mcg 5-MTHF everyday for the past 2 weeks and haven't noticed any large improvements. Although there may be other factors to this, I've actually been feeling subtly worse at times and slightly better at other times. I've also been supplementing 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 everyday for my deficiency (which most likely has something to do with VDR Taq +/+).

According to Yasko Methylation, VDR taq should also make me less sensitive to methyl group supplement levels (http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Yasko_Methylation#VDR_Gene). But, according to my nutrahacker report, my COMT mutation should make me less tolerant to methyl B12 and methyl groups. Should I just supplement hydroxycobalamin instead?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hi,
    methylation SNPs don't necessarily translate into health problems.
    For instance you have the double MTHFR mutation (I have it too). This doesn't automatically mean you have health problems, but it suggests you should check your B12, folate and homocysteine status.

Have you ever checked those recently? Homocysteine and folate are significant values, B12 not much unless you also check MMA (methyl-malonic acid), which is a better marker.

If you talk to your doctor you should be able to get those tests done, you can also mention the MTHFR issue as a justification for the tests.

As regards the Yasko protocol, several people in this forum have already noted that she claims lots of stuff which is not backed by evidence, so it's pretty difficult to sort through her material and take everything seriously.

For example I have the same COMT snps and no problems with high dose methyl-B12 and methyl-folate. There is certainly people with lots of issues tolerating methyl donors but the causes are much broader than what Yasko says...

It seems to me that SNPs are given way too much causal power these days... :)

cheers

Tammy and Valentijn like this.
  3. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

My nutrahacker results look almost identical to yours. When I supplement with methylcobalamin regularly I develop ridiculous anxiety. So that may be something to look out for...

I've started just taking a mix of hydroxycobalamin and methylcobalamin. One day I take one... wait a few days, take the other - repeat. If my anxiety becomes too severe, I lay off the methylcobalamin a bit.

See more popular forum discussions.