• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic mitochondrial dysfunction in Eosinophilic Esophagitis

hixxy

I thought some others might also find this interesting. I have EoE and my EoE and stomach problems flare from exertion and it's becoming pretty obvious it's playing quite a big role in my disease. I've also suspected that I have severe mitochondrial dysfunction in these organs but unable to prove it definitively.

JCI Insight. 2018 Apr 19;3(8). pii: 99922. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.99922. [Epub ahead of print]

Whole-exome sequencing uncovers oxidoreductases DHTKD1 and OGDHL as linkers between mitochondrial dysfunction and eosinophilic esophagitis.

Sherrill JD, Kc K, Wang X, Wen T, Chamberlin A, Stucke EM, Collins MH, Abonia JP, Peng Y, Wu Q, Putnam PE, Dexheimer PJ, Aronow BJ, Kottyan LC, Kaufman KM, Harley JB, Huang T, Rothenberg ME.

Abstract
Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is an allergic inflammatory esophageal disorder with a complex underlying genetic etiology often associated with other comorbidities. Using whole-exome sequencing (WES) of 63 patients with EoE and 60 unaffected family members and family-based trio analysis, we sought to uncover rare coding variants. WES analysis identified 5 rare, damaging variants in dehydrogenase E1 and transketolase domain-containing 1 (DHTKD1). Rare variant burden analysis revealed an overabundance of putative, potentially damaging DHTKD1 mutations in EoE (P = 0.01). Interestingly, we also identified 7 variants in the DHTKD1 homolog oxoglutarate dehydrogenase-like (OGDHL). Using shRNA-transduced esophageal epithelial cells and/or patient fibroblasts, we further showed that disruption of normal DHTKD1 or OGDHL expression blunts mitochondrial function. Finally, we demonstrated that the loss of DHTKD1 expression increased ROS production and induced the expression of viperin, a gene previously shown to be involved in production of Th2 cytokines in T cells. Viperin had increased expression in esophageal biopsies of EoE patients compared with control individuals and was upregulated by IL-13 in esophageal epithelial cells. These data identify a series of rare genetic variants implicating DHTKD1 and OGDHL in the genetic etiology of EoE and underscore a potential pathogenic role for mitochondrial dysfunction in EoE.

KEYWORDS:
Allergy; Cellular immune response; Immunology; Inflammation; Mitochondria

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29669943

Plum

I thought some others might also find this interesting. I have EoE and my EoE and stomach problems flare from exertion and it's becoming pretty obvious it's playing quite a big role in my disease. I've also suspected that I have severe mitochondrial dysfunction in these organs but unable to prove it definitively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29669943
Thank you for sharing this. I hadn't considered a link between my EoE and ME but will keep an eye out from now on to see if there's a link between my EoE flaring when my ME does. So many things to keep in mind sometimes!