Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Genetic Markers for PTSD Linked to Immune System Response

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Wayne, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I've long thought that many pwCFS (including myself) are likely dealing with some degree of PTSD. This report connecting immune system regulation with PTSD seems to support that thesis.

Genetic Markers for PTSD Linked to Immune System Response

Gemini, oceiv and melamine like this.
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    When I was at my worst, with overwhelming neurological symptoms, I was triggered by everything in my environment. My life wasn't a utopia, there were stressful aspects to my childhood, but there was no specific traumatic event. I definitely reacted to my world as if I had PTSD. I think it was this that convinced the examining psychologist to grant my appeal for disability. Since my nervous system, as well as inflammatory system, have calmed during the past 3 years, I'm no longer experiencing this.

Gemini, oceiv, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
  4. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Thanks for posting this interesting article @Wayne!

Interferon has long been studied re: ME/CFS, early researchers feeling high levels caused many of the symptoms.

Fast forward to Dr. Kerr's genetic study where Interferon genes topped the list.

RA research now suggests Interferon gene expression signatures can predict response to Rituxan.

@ahmo I wonder if high interferon levels caused the feelings of PTSD you describe?

oceiv likes this.
  5. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    link to this ? thanks

oceiv likes this.
  6. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

beaker and Wayne like this.
  7. student

student Senior Member

Yes, these BH4-genetics (here TPH-2) and neurotransmitter (comt) disorders can lead to depression. I was hoping to see more details…

Appart from this understanding, we do look for a much broder spectrum: In 1. methylation (cbs), the 2. Folate (MT‘s / mtRR), 3. Neurotransmitters (BH4, comt / UGT), 4. Cortisol pathway (NR3) and others perhabs at 5. Amonium, and verry verry crucial 6. Glutathion (GST) and Nitrox (with SOD2) for cleaning up. Perhabs later 7. can be relevant for psycho-medications - Cytochrom (Cyp). All these disorders in your snp’s can trap @CFS.

See: Schnakenberg E. humangenetics, biologie. Genetsches Muster bei CFS, notwendige Untersuchungen. CFSme Forum german. Zeitschrift fatigo 2014. 36: page 16.

And some of us would not have dared to join healthy mariens @Wayne 's studie.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.