1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Generic T4 is worthless

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by xks201, Oct 31, 2012.

1. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Stick to synthroid.

2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    How is this different from Armour thyroid?

GG

3. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    I get my Thyroid compounded.

4. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Synthroid is a prescription medication that treats hypothyroidism and may help manage your hypothyroid symptoms. The active ingredient in Synthroid is called levothyroxine sodium. It is a synthetic hormone identical to thyroxine - the hormone that the thyroid gland naturally makes.

Armour Thyroid is a natural, porcine-derived thyroid hormone replacement containing both T4and T3.

The endocrinologist that I first saw and prescribed Synthroid would not prescribe generic - maybe for a reason.

I am hoping the Iodine Protocol will allow me to either reduce or get off of Synthroid.

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Natural dessicated thyroid (like Armour or Naturethroid) also contains T2 and T1 and calcitonin to fully round out the thyroid hormones along with T4 and T3. This may be more important in people who have problems with conversion from storage to active forms of thyroid hormone. But most people end up needing *some* amount of T3 to ultimately feel optimal on thyroid replacement whether it comes from NTH or Cytomel.

Synthroid is not quite identical to the T4 the thyroid produces - it contains an additional sodium atom.

I know lots of people that do just fine on generic T4 though. The best way to monitor is with labs to measure FT4 and FT3. Most people feel best with a F4 of about 1.3 - men sometimes slightly higher and women sometimes slightly lower. TSH is worthless as a measure of thyroid function once on thyroid replacement for most people.

I would be wary of iodine if one has Hashimoto's (the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US). It can provoke flares of the autoimmune disease.

Ema

6. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC

See more popular forum discussions.