Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

General ME-related news from Scandinavia

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    The ME-debate in the newspaper Aftenposten continues with yet another contribution. This time from a senior doctor called Morten Nissen Melsom. It is a new name for me, and I am glad to see more health care workers join the ME-debate and support the research and the patients. Apparently he works with lung diseases, but from this letter-to-the-editor he seems pretty well updated on ME too.

ME kan ikke kureres som psykisk sykdom
    google translate: ME can not be cured as a mental illness

- You can't make the mistake to declare someone well just because medical progress hasn't gotten far enough yet.

2. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Great answer:

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Yet another reply in the ME-debate in the newspaper Aftenposten. This time a second letter-to-the-editor from professor Ola Didrik Saugstad where he responds to the criticism from professor Wyller and three other doctors with a psychosomatic approach to ME.

ME er en alvorlig, fysisk, kronisk og kompleks multisystemsykdom
    google translate ME is a serious, physical, chronic and complex multi system disease

He sums up the debate and points towards the IOM-report, the PACE-trial (mentions the special issue on PACE from Journal of Health Psychology), the SMILE-trial, new research and the patient community.

- Wyller characterizes international biomedical research as misleading and outdated.This research has gathered headway, and many findings are threatening to the psychosomatic position Wyller represents.Wyller has built his academic career on a paradigm that quickly loses ground.For the ME-patients, this development gives hope for the future.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Not pulling any punches either it seems. That's NL, UK and Scandinavia were we are seeing some headway now too, after great progress in the US.

5. mango

mango Senior Member

Excellent article in the Swedish newspaper DT today :)

https://www.dt.se/logga-in/26-arige...sjukdomen-me-cfs-min-kondition-existerar-inte

Don't miss the 0:35 second long video on their Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/dtnyheter/videos/1485942044776794/

Google translation

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  6. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

A very bad article in Aftenposten today.

"Misinformation about ME may scare patients away from documented treatment"

https://translate.google.no/transla...tert-behandling--Vegard-Bruun-Bratholm-Wyller

Wyller has written three articles now where he praises CBT. He even used the one article in Journal of Health psychology which was written by Chalder, White and others to prove that PACE had not been torn apart. He didn't tell how. He does not say anything about the lack of effect. And he doesn't say that patients don't improve on objective measures.

If someone knows a PhD/MD that wants to write back to him please do tell me. I can translate back to Norwegian. The debate has been ongoing for a month now. Norwegian biggest newspaper. I wouldn't say our view has prevailed, at least not now after this latest chronicle. I think a PhD from UK/US could make a major impact on the debate.

7. Cam Newton

Cam Newton

Anyone have any news regarding the CylcoME trial that should be published very soon? Fluge and Mella presented at a conference in Iceland recently. Does anyone know if they spoke about publication dates? I have a feeling CycloME will be great news for the community.

8. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

I've heard from a source that they're looking at publishing the rituximab study before the cyclo study. I have not been able to verify it yet, but it sounds plausible. If the rituximab study is positive, then publishing cyclo afterwards would get much more attention.

That's all I know. I'll update if I am able to confirm it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  9. ivorin

ivorin Senior Member

Does this mean we will wait for both 'till next year?

Cam Newton likes this.
  10. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

This does make sense.

If Cyclome comes first, its 'just' another unblinded trial with low n.
    If RituxME shows positive results, CycloME becomes a trial showing another possible treatment option and avenue for further research, from the same researchers who brought you the first trial which showed a positive outcome.

pibee, Cam Newton, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  11. Cam Newton

Cam Newton

Any CycloME rumours lately? Release date?

See more popular forum discussions.