• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

General ME-related news from Scandinavia

Effi

adding a bit more bio into the biopsychosocial approach doesn't necessarily alter a psychosomatic foundation.
This seems to be the new trend in BPS land: adding a pinch of bio. They have also stopped saying it is 'all in the mind', but have repackaged this idea into 'your body is playing tricks on you'. The end result is still exactly the same though.

Kalliope

This seems to be the new trend in BPS land: adding a pinch of bio. They have also stopped saying it is 'all in the mind', but have repackaged this idea into 'your body is playing tricks on you'. The end result is still exactly the same though.
Agree! And we can add disregard for consensus criteria for ME, no participation on main ME-conferences and next to no dialogue with the patient population.

Kalliope

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Amazing news!!!

The Kavli Trust gives 4.9 million NOK (600 000 USD - 479 000 GBP) to Fluge and Mella's ME-research at Haukeland University Hospital.

:woot::balloons::thumbsup::balloons:

They have supported the research several times with substantial amounts since 2011.

Article on their website:
4.9 millionar til ME-forsking
google translation: 4.9 million for ME-research

Wanna thank them?
You can do that via Facebook or twitter
Is the Kavli Trust a general medical charity, or are they an ME charity?

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Is the Kavli Trust a general medical charity, or are they an ME charity?
@Kalliope, I just used some of your links and google translate to find this description of the charity:

The Cavalry Fund supports research, culture and humanitarian purposes. We support both national and international projects. The cavity fund has long-term cooperation with several organizations. Currently, we also prioritize enthusiasts and social entrepreneurs who can make a difference in society.

So, a big, non ME charity just gave 4.9 millionar to Fluge and Mella to find the underlying mechanism of the disease!

The disease is a mystery, and very many people suffer from the disease themselves, but also from stigmatization and ignorance.We hope that the contribution of the Cavalry Fund can lead to answers to what ME is, Says Daily Leader in the Cavalry Fund, Inger Elise Iversen

This is huge!!!

I hope lots of other charities start to get on the ME train!

Kalliope

The intro-film to ME by the Norwegian ME Association - Department Rogaland - has now gotten Swedish subtitles. In order to access the subtitles (either in Swedish og English) just click on the cog wheel at the bottom.

Would you like to see subtitles in more languages and are you willing to help with translation? Send an e-mail to me.rogaland(at)hotmail.com :)

mango

From Sweden on news site for doctors

A senior lecturer, Sten Helmfrid, and a medical doctor, Johan Edsberg (both members of the Swedish ME Association - RME), criticise a chapter on ME in a book about medical controversies. At the same time they provide good, updated general knowledge on ME..

One more by Helmfrid & Edsberg, in reply to Malmquist's comments:

Experter betonar en biomedicinsk grund för ME/CFS ("Experts emphasize biomedical basis of ME/CFS")
http://www.lakartidningen.se/Opinio...ter-betonar-en-biomedicinsk-grund-for-MECFS-/

Kalliope

A blog run by parents to children with ME has a blog post in English on the recent allocation from the Norwegian Research Council to ME-research.

Most of our readers will have noticed that The Norwegian Research Council has allocated NOK 30 million in earmarked funds for ME research. Here we present briefly the four projects that have received funding, but first a glance at how the process took place.

NOK 30 million for research

Kalliope

The University in Bergen with an article in English about the allocation from The Norwegian Research Council.

Researchers in Bergen will respond to these needs by investigating whether metabolic disorders are involved in the disease mechanism for this serious and relatively common condition. The project is building upon close cooperation with Professor Olav Mella and Øystein Fluge at the Department of Oncology and Medical Physics at Haukeland University Hospital, and has received support from The Kavli foundation for several years.
Finding the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME

Kalliope

"Why are autoimmune diseases more prevalent in women?"

- Women are less susceptible to infectious diseases than men, but are more often prone to autoimmune diseases. This higher prevalence is partly attributable to the X chromosome, which has many genes relating to the immune system. It is advantageous for women to have two X chromosomes, but the price is a greater tendency to develop autoimmunity.

Not specifically about ME, but interesting article nevertheless. The journal of the Norwegian Medical Association has published the article both in Norwegian and in English.

Kalliope

Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg talks about ME in a recent podcast about politics.

She says these are patients who have been very badly treated in our health care system. She also talks about the need for research into ME and about the recent allocation to biomedical ME-research from the Research Council based on inputs from patients.

Podcast: Stortingsrestauranten
From 5.00 til 7.12 (in Norwegian)

Kalliope

Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg talks about ME in a recent podcast about politics.

She says these are patients who have been very badly treated in our health care system. She also talks about the need for research into ME and about the recent allocation to biomedical ME-research from the Research Council based on inputs from patients.

Podcast: Stortingsrestauranten
From 5.00 til 7.12 (in Norwegian)

A write-up about the podcast on Open Medicine Foundation:

Norwegian Prime Minister uses political power to improve the situation for ME/CFS patients

Kalliope

Article from University Hospital of North Norway on one of the four research projects that recently received funds from the Research Council.

In Norwegian: Forskningsjubel for tarmprosjekt for ME-syke
Google translation: Enthusiasm for intestine-prosject for ME-patients

- From studies on other diseases, it is known that an intestinal flora in imbalance can be normalized by the transfer of intestinal bacteria from a carefully selected fresh donor to the intestine of the sick person. This is what is called fecal transplant. At the medical department UNN Harstad we have recently completed a study on the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with fecal transplantation. Through this work we learned that the same treatment principle could also work with CSF / ME, says Johnsen, who is the initiator of the project and fellow of the study on irritable bowel syndrome.

Manganus

Yes!
It's quite impressive.

She stated on national television:

“It’s actually a scandal. The patients have met a lack of respect simply because we haven’t had knowledge. The worst part is that we haven’t worked that hard to attain that knowledge.”

It is wonderful to see a powerful politician taking an interest in, and prioritizing this long neglected and devastating disease. More awareness and more funds for research are important steps towards a solution.

Kalliope

The Norwegian ME-documentary Perversely Dark (Sykt Mørkt) is available for free here (password "fenomen").

It has English subtitles. It was sent on television in Norway a few years ago and was the most watched documentary then for the broadcaster. The documentary took six years to make and follows two severe ME-patients and their families.