1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(general) Faking it: Social desirability response bias in self-report research

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text at: http://www.ajan.com.au/Vol25/Vol_25-4_vandeMortel.pdf

I thought it was interesting as it:
    (i) gives some examples of the bias
    (ii) shows that some studies actually try to control for it.

Given the amount of questionnaires that are used in ME/CFS research, this may have some relevance.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Doesn't Chalder think that CFS patients are particularly prone to distortions driven by consideration of social desirability (underpinning her working linking it to anorexia?)

I doubt she'd bring it up in this regard.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Afraid I haven't read that paper so will leave it to others to answer.

Basically what the authors are referring to is individuals not truthfully answering questionnaires on a wide variety of things, which is a slightly different issue from people feeling some sort of social pressure to act/think/whatever in a certain way but where their answers to questions are what they really think/feel/is really the way they behave.

4. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    SDR is also known as "faking good."

Well designed questionnaires will have sub-scales built into them that assess SDR.

In a broader context, the process of properly validating an instrument (such as a set of questions used for a diagnostic criteria for a specific disorder - such as the ICC) is time consuming, expensive and it requires a significant background in the appropriate statistical methods. Look what happened with the Reeves definition, a ten-fold increase in the number of "CFS" patients. I'm hoping that Lenny Jason wasn't a co-author of the ICC because he wanted to independently validate it and not because he didn't feel comfortable with it.

See more popular forum discussions.