• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gene Therapy for Immune Disorder Lasts Nine Years, Two New Studies Show

Gene Therapy for Immune Disorder Lasts Nine Years, Two New Studies Show

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...er-lasts-nine-years-two-new-studies-show.html

In gene therapy, scientists replace non-functioning genes with normal ones using a carrier molecule such as a virus; repair abnormal DNA; or alter how the DNA works.

What we knew from earlier was that the immune system could be restored, but we werent clear on how that would be sustained over time, Adrian Thrasher, an immunologist at the University College London involved in the research, said in a telephone interview. Now we know it is sustained, and the long-term recovery appears to be comparable to conventional transplant.

Another round of trials will begin shortly, Kohn said. In those trials, researchers have changed the viruses used to insert the new DNA. The researchers are hoping for the same benefits with fewer risks, he said.

Wonko

Why?

Surely if these disorders are caused by faulty genes, and these genes have been replaced with working ones, the effect should be permanent? Why would the conditions re-appear after 9 years?

Or are we not supposed to ask such questions and just feel good for the people treated having 9 years problem free?

I think after 9 years th gene therapy is still working.

I find gene therapy interesting.

Isn't Gene therapy essentially a virus being used to fix DNA? Why is it we have a virus that damages DNA, yet some scientists claim they can't find it, much less treat it? At the same time science has advanced to the point where scientists can use gene therapy to control exactly what genes are being modified?

Something isn't adding up here.

You will find that Greg Towers and many of the same universities are in on the Gene therapy research.