1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gene expression meta analysis study, and a blind trial, proposed by Professor Kellam

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From their latest newsletter:
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Quick response: the CDC have done gene expression research on a few groups incl. one post-exercise study.

The empiric-criteria study is:
    so one is talking about the data that came out after that paper, which is spread out over lots of papers e.g. Pharmacogenomics papers in 2006 (Wichita 2-day study cohort) and the Georgia cohort (gave a prevalence of 2.54%).
  3. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I would say this is wrong. What about the Hanson group? Besides that group, XMRV was also found in other labs, but you could say they didn't reproduce Lombardi et al. because the number of samples was too small or for other reasons.
    And yes, other studies have concluded that the problem is contamination, but that does of course not mean they are correct. This remains to be seen.
    That would of course be great, but there are also other approaches for diagnostic tests, like cytokines, immune system markers, spinal fluid, XMRV and probably others.
    I also think even if they are able to find a pattern of gene expression it might still be quite a long way from there to a therapy. Because probably one would have to find the cause of that change in gene expression. But either way, even if i don't like what they say about XMRV, any serious research is good.
  4. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Looks like this is it:
    Assessment of a 44 Gene Classifier for the Evaluation of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cell Gene Expression Daniel Frampton1, Jonathan Kerr2, Tim J. Harrison3, Paul Kellam1,4*

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    I don't know anything about the science but all things considered this has to be welcome research (especially in the negative climate created by the psych lobby in the UK)
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

tbh - that's better than I expected.

I'd be pretty comfortable betting that it's also better at distinguishing between CFS patients and controls than any mental health questionnaire.
  7. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    True enough. I think Lenny Jason has a couple of Qs on PEM that are >90% accurate on patients and controls: that's the benchmark.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Well - you could always have a questionnaire asking 'Do you have CFS?' - but that's kind of cheating. I meant ones measuring illness beliefs, personality, coping techniques, views on mental health, etc.
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    CFS Research Foundation - Full newsletter - corrected version

The CFS Research Foundation have sent out a new newsletter saying that the previous one had been re-written and distributed without their permission, and had mistakes in it.

So they have sent out an official corrected version.
    I've attached it as a PDF file.

Attached Files:

See more popular forum discussions.