• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gelatin

Ninan

1)
gelatin = You are after its collagen.
You will get the collagen if you boil the bones and you get all the other minerals benefits. Also help seal the gut.
Google bone broth and leaky gut. I am not sure the comparison broth vs the collagen in the powder mg wise.
To be honest I am going to powder because I cant take the detox and strong reaction I was getting from the broth (I smell it now and want to puke) so I need a break.
2) What kind of dose are you going with?
I will try to go 20mg or 30mg, watching the cortisol. Apparently L-G can lower cortisol. I do great just on 1mg I don't imagine how great I would feel if I increase.
Did you eat only bone broth for three days? Nothing else?

kangaSue

I was wondering... Has anyone tried Gelatin for their "immunologically screwed, chronically inflammed" intestines aka "Leaky Gut"?
Does anybody know what can cause a severe gut reaction to gelatin or bone broth.

I have a severely screwed up G.I. system with gastroparesis and chronic mesenteric ischemia, any of the gelatin products, glutamine supplements or bone broth give a worse flare of symptoms which occurs within half an hour so it's not a detox thing (nausea, gut pain, sometimes vomiting).

The longer the bone broth is cooked, the more intense the effect. Glutamine (and NAC for that matter) is the worst offender having an affect within a couple of minutes. It's not just a stomach thing as I get the same reaction by-passing the stomach in using my feeding tube which goes directly into the jejunum so I'm thinking it's something to do with an excess of free glutamate.

dannybex

Does anybody know what can cause a severe gut reaction to gelatin or bone broth.

I have a severely screwed up G.I. system with gastroparesis and chronic mesenteric ischemia, any of the gelatin products, glutamine supplements or bone broth give a worse flare of symptoms which occurs within half an hour so it's not a detox thing (nausea, gut pain, sometimes vomiting).

The longer the bone broth is cooked, the more intense the effect. Glutamine (and NAC for that matter) is the worst offender having an affect within a couple of minutes. It's not just a stomach thing as I get the same reaction by-passing the stomach in using my feeding tube which goes directly into the jejunum so I'm thinking it's something to do with an excess of free glutamate.

It could be an oxalate issue. Many in the low oxalate group can't tolerate any sort of gelatin or anything with glycine as in some it can be converted to oxalate very easily. Or too easily. And oxalates can cause a lot of pain in any area of the body for some, and a lot of gut issues as well.

Just a guess of course.

Might also be an ammonia issue?

kangaSue

It could be an oxalate issue. Many in the low oxalate group can't tolerate any sort of gelatin or anything with glycine as in some it can be converted to oxalate very easily. Or too easily. And oxalates can cause a lot of pain in any area of the body for some, and a lot of gut issues as well.
Definitely not an oxalate issue, there is nothing in my severely restricted diet that contains oxalates.

Just a guess of course.
Why does that quote remind me of every doctor I've seen......

Might also be an ammonia issue?
Thanks for that, I shall tentatively sniff it out.

dannybex

Definitely not an oxalate issue, there is nothing in my severely restricted diet that contains oxalates.

Just to note that a recent study -- I can find it if you like -- said that 80-90% of oxalate issues didn't come from dietary sources but instead were a result of endogenous oxalate production. Another can o' worms. :)

kangaSue

Just to note that a recent study -- I can find it if you like -- said that 80-90% of oxalate issues didn't come from dietary sources but instead were a result of endogenous oxalate production. Another can o' worms. :)
Bloody hell, how is a layman supposed to get a grip on things when your body biology sends down curve balls like that.
And yes please, I'd appreciate it if you can post a link to that study.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I bought some Great Lakes gelatin ages ago and got distracted and can't remember now why I bought it! Must have been in case of leaky gut.

Is there a recommended dose?

JaimeS

Huh! I just bought that, @Sasha !

I saw a site that recommended replacing eggs with it in recipes.

DON'T.

A tsp in a full cup of water sounds like a good place to start. I think they actually have suggestions on the tin.

-J

Daffodil

I bought some Great Lakes gelatin ages ago and got distracted and can't remember now why I bought it! Must have been in case of leaky gut.

Is there a recommended dose?
I just put 2 tablespoons in soup. I have been using it for a long time now.....maybe 4 -5 times a week or so...but my recent leaky gut test shows I am just getting worse.

but I have heard others having good success with it, along with dietary changes.