• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GcMAF for XMRV--Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor--anyone taking it?

Daffodil

hi xandoff, thank you for the kind words. i am not surprised that so many of us have arthritis in our spines...we have so much inflammation there, it damages cartilage i think. that pain must be so horrible for you. benzodiazepines are the only thing that help me overall too, but i take them rarely.

whats interesting is that my energy is still a lot better than before the GcMAF, its mainly the brain that has declined. i feel the same neck cramping i did in the beginning, indicating infection in the brain.

i am once again considering taking the metametrix stool test. my doc won't give me valtrex until my EBV antibodies are tested but i am not sure i can get accurate testing here. on the bright side, they now offer c4a testing here, which is incredible; i may still have to pay, though.

it's really looking like tenofovir was somehow helping my brain.

i had a very long day yesterday, running around in a fog, getting someone to take my blood for NK cell function test, just missed the fedex guy, called them and begged and almost cried(LOL) until they agreed to come back and take the blood, only to find out later that night, that UNVEX no longer accepts blood on fridays.
ughhhhhhhh when the fog gets bad, i become an emotional wreck!

shannah

Just FYI: Scott just posted on FB that he's hearing a couple of reports of nagalase going back up.

"I was a little disappointed this week to hear that a couple of people that had their nagalase down to very healthy levels and stopped GcMAF found that the nagalase went back up. Has anyone else gotten far enough along to be done and then continued to monitor nagalase?"

https://www.facebook.com/BetterHealthGuy?ref=stream

Forebearance

Thanks for that, shannah.

I'm so sorry to hear about the tough time you're going through, Daff. I hope the blood tests are helpful.

A strange thing has been happening to me -- the supplements that I usually take that kill critters seem to be packing more of a punch these days. I can barely sleep now when I take my usual Virastop and Candidase. Could my immune system be responding in a stronger way because of the MAF?

Fore

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks for that, shannah.

I'm so sorry to hear about the tough time you're going through, Daff. I hope the blood tests are helpful.

A strange thing has been happening to me -- the supplements that I usually take that kill critters seem to be packing more of a punch these days. I can barely sleep now when I take my usual Virastop and Candidase. Could my immune system be responding in a stronger way because of the MAF?

Fore

I'd guess, yes. At least I think that is happening to me too. I am having to lower my doses on some things.

Sushi

Daffodil

i am not at all surprised about nagalase going back up. gcmaf will not be a cure, i dont think. we will need to be on maintenance doses, and i wonder if this will be safe.

ukxmrv

I'd clutch at anything to give me some quality of life. Not getting any younger and I hoping that if this works for a while another tx will come along after that. We may spend the rest of our lives going from one to another. It's not good or ideal but for me better than another 30 years of this living death.

Daffodil

thats what i used to think....at least this will buy me some time...but it doesnt look like they are at all close to finding whats going on inside our bodies. there is no new pathogen..peterson even says he does not expect a new pathogen to be found..and he is in close contact with most researchers, including lipkin. so when gcmaf becomes unsafe to take or stops working or whatever, then what?

i can tell you that the answers arent going to come from the USA...too many corporate interests. its going to be europe. if anything!

Daffodil

hi all. the brain fog continues to worsen and in general, i dont feel too well. my breathing is labored and i am somewhat weaker. this is definitely a change from 2 months ago.

i did take 20 ng of GcMAF last Friday and did experience increased inflammation from that for a few days.

it will be a while before i have any test results and my doctor refuses to give me a valtrex trial until tests come in.

i was thinking that tenofovir was maybe helping the EBV and/or HHV6, but my EBV was high in NYC when I saw Dr. Enlander in Feb, and I was on Tenofovir at that time. So perhaps tenofovir was doing something else.

unfortunately, this downturn has really been doing a number on my emotional well-being (the little i had left lol)

uk...did you say you were responding very well to the MAF?
thanks!

ukxmrv

Daff, I did very well on the MAF314 but the MAF878 is either slower to respond or not working. Just had a few good days at the end of a month miserable with the flu. Keeping a daily diary.

p.s. I am on Valtrex and Immunovir but haven't had any recent testing

Nielk

I'm not sure if this was brought up here before.

Could this be the reason why GcMaf works especially well on intestinal issues?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/asfm-ibp061312.php

Intestinal bacteria produce neurotransmitter, could play role in inflammation

Researchers at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital have identified commensal bacteria in the human intestine that produce a neurotransmitter that may play a role in preventing or treating inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease.
"We identified, to our knowledge, the first bifidobacterial strain, Bifidobacterium dentium, that is capable of secreting large amounts of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This molecule is a major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central and enteric nervous systems," says Karina Pokusaeva, a researcher on the study and a member of the laboratory of James Versalovic.
GABA is one of the chief inhibitory neurotransmitters in the human central nervous system. It plays a role in regulating pain and some pain relieving drugs currently on the market act by targeting GABA receptors on neural cells.
Pokusaeva and her colleagues were interested in understanding the role the human microbiome might play in pain and scanned the genomes of potentially beneficial intestinal microorganisms, identified by the Human Microbiome Project, for evidence of a gene that would allow them to create GABA.
"Lab analysis of metagenomic DNA sequencing data allowed us to demonstrate that microbial glutamate decarboxylase encoding gene is very abundant in intestinal microbiota as compared to other body sites," says Pokusaeva. One of the most prolific producers of GABA was B. dentium, which appears to secrete the compound to help it survive the acid environment.
In addition to its pain modulating properties, GABA may also be capable of inhibiting inflammation. Recent studies have shown that immune cells called macrophages also possess GABA receptors. When these receptors were activated on the macrophages there was a decrease in the production of compounds responsible for inflammation.
"Our lab was curious to explore if GABA produced by intestinal human isolate B. dentium could have an effect on GABA receptors present in immune cells," says Pokusaeva. Together with their collaborators Dr. Yamada and Dr. Lacorazza they found that when the cells were exposed to secretions from the bacteria, they exhibited increased expression of the GABAA receptor in the immune cells.
While the findings are preliminary, they suggest the possibility that B. dentium and the compounds it secretes could play a role in reducing inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel diseases.
The next step, says Pokusaeva is to conduct in vitro experiments to determine if the increased GABAA expression correlates with a decrease in production of cytokines associated with inflammation. GABAA receptor signaling may also contribute to pain signaling in the gut and may somehow be involved in abdominal pain disorders.
"Our preliminary findings suggest that Bifidobacterium dentium could potentially have an inhibitory role in inflammation; however more research has to be performed to further prove our hypothesis," says Pokusaeva.

###

Dr. Pokusaeva will participate in a live webcast media availability to discuss her research on Sunday, June 17, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. EDT. The webcast can be found online atwww.microbeworld.org/asmlive.
This research was presented as part of the 2012 General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology held June 16-19, 2012 in San Francisco, California. A full press kit for the meeting, including tipsheets and additional press releases, can be found online at http://bit.ly/asm2012pk.
The American Society for Microbiology is the largest single life science society, composed of over 39,000 scientists and health professionals. ASM's mission is to advance the microbiological sciences as a vehicle for understanding life processes and to apply and communicate this knowledge for the improvement of health and environmental and economic well-being worldwide.

Does anyone know if GcMAF is considered a supplement or a prescription drug? I am not sure if I have to declare it and pay duties on it or not, when I bring it back to Canada from the USA. I think I will have a prescription for it, but one can obtain it without prescription and I am sure it won't be on any drug list

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Hi Daffodil, i have been on the GCMAF since Sept. 2011. I have slowly increased my dose as tolerated but you will have to go through pwriods of feeling worse before you feel better. As far as obtaining the GCMAF it is easier to order it from gcmaf.eu. it is only suppose to be frozen once and depending on your reaction your dose may be so low that you will need to draw it up in syringes in small dosages and freeze them and only thaw each one as needed as the vial only last 8 weeks unfrozen and each week loses a little of its strength. This is what I have done as a recommendation from Sushi and it has worked out great. I started at 0.25ml and now I have just this week finally worked my way up to. 1 ml a week. Each time I increase the dose I have IRIS but I take antivirals, antihistamines and curcumin and each week it gets less severe so I don't have to take as much of these. I have seen improvement in my health. (Just a side note. I have read recent research has shown people who continue to increase their dose are getting well, those who do not do not see much improvement. It is a long process but to me well worth it. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and at least now I have good days again. Good luck to all.

Daffodil

thanks a lot, byker. maybe antivirals is the key. may i ask which antivirals you are on?

thank you
xox

lobba123

antivirals are never the key because they dont clear viruses, for hiv, herpes and hbv they just lower virus replication and also immune response towards the viruses (the immune system see less replication and lowers immune pressure too) , the virus is still there replicating even if pcr are negative

the key is a combo of antivirals and immune modulators and see if immune system gets control.for hbv the best strategy at the moment is tenofovir antiviral and interferon immune modulator or like in my case tenofovir antiviral plus gcmaf to activate macrophages and imiquimod to activate detritic cells.imiquimod activate both cells and make them produce high levels of interferon (the immune activation is controlled by dentritic cells mainly)

can this strategy work?we dont know yet, only 17 weeks on imiquimod and we dont know if imiquimod is reaching liver immune cells but we do know it is producing a lot of interferon now

lobba123

check latest studies about trl7 and chronic infections, i think the key is activating dentritic cells and trl7 but sides from imiquimod can be quite severe so i do not suggest anyone with cfs try this

lobba123

toll like receptor 7, this is the receptor for intracellular viruses if it is blocked together with trl8 immune system cannot sense viruses inside cells
study results just published found that mises deficent on this trl carry chronic infections and are not able to clear them despite high number of immune cells, these actually have more cells than mices with trl 7 but immune cells dont work

mices with trl7 clear infections and don t keep them chronic, trl7 receptor is needed to mount final immune clearance on viruses