• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GcMAF for XMRV--Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor--anyone taking it?

Daffodil

this might be a dumb question...but can someone explain why activating macrophages is a good idea? wouldnt that spread the infection?

Lou

Questions for Overstressed

Yes, OS, did you ever discover the source for your Doctor's gcmaf given to you? And did you start out at full dose or one-fifth dose or other? Also, you mentioned that after about your ninth injection you were going to request that it be given you via IV. Did that happen, and if so, were the results better?

That muscle loss you noted? Was that due to your cfs and reduction of exercise or were you saying gcmaf played a part?

Sorry for all the questions, maybe you answered them elsewhere in the thread and I missed them. I got sick while living in Lake Tahoe in the nineteen-eighties, one of that cluster of cases at Incline Villiage, have had cfs now twenty-five years, and am probably investing too much hope in this treatment being the great breakthrough. Gotta have that hope, though, it's what's got me through many a rough spot in all this.
Hope you continue to respond and improve.

Best wishes,

Lou

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
this might be a dumb question...but can someone explain why activating macrophages is a good idea? wouldnt that spread the infection?

Hi Daffodil,

No question is dumb!

I can't explain all the technicalities, but you can find them if you google: Immunotherapy of HIV-Infected Patients With Gc Protein-Derived Macrophage Activating Factor (GcMAF) by N. Yamamoto.

This is an HIV study showing eradication of HIV (they checked the patients for 7 years) after GcMAF therapy. M. Ruggiero, from Italy, also presented similar results at a recent HIV conference in Vienna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4eMkdYhaZE).

De Meirleir is having good results treating XMRV+ ME/CFS patients with GcMAF also--though the response seems to depend on what polymorphisms you have in your Vit D receptor.

Have a look!

Best,
Sushi

mojoey

I've wondered the same thing since macrophages are a reservoir for both XMRV and HIV, but hey the treatment outcome trumps the bench research in my mind. It's pretty clear by now Gcmaf is not a cure for CFS patients though, so the "eradication" question is really moot. It would seem whatever damage is caused by activating the reservoirs is outweighed by the macrophage going pacman (for lack of a better term) on pathogens.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've wondered the same thing since macrophages are a reservoir for both XMRV and HIV, but hey the treatment outcome trumps the bench research in my mind. It's pretty clear by now Gcmaf is not a cure for CFS patients though, so the "eradication" question is really moot. It would seem whatever damage is caused by activating the reservoirs is outweighed by the macrophage going pacman (for lack of a better term) on pathogens.

I think someone reported here that De Meirleir said: "Think pacman!" And yeah, every treatment seems to have pros and cons. My goal is to try something that has a chance of getting me better and that also won't do much damage. It's a gamble!

Sushi

leela

It would seem whatever damage is caused by activating the reservoirs is outweighed by the macrophage going pacman (for lack of a better term) on pathogens.
Such a perfect term, in fact, that I think it ought to be adopted into the medical lexicon!

Crappy

I just wanted to share information about cheap ways of stimulating NK funtion. Something that is mentioned in here regularly.

A product named Epicor is a known stimulator, and another product named Cell Forte by Enzymatic Therapy, also, Inositol Hexaphosphate stimulates NK funtion.

serg1942

Hahaah!, Joey, I think the term is "engulf", but I do prefer "pacman"! ;-) I am still laughing! Thanks for your sense of humor, it is very welcome!

Overstressed

Hi Lou,

unfortunately, my doctor is not telling me his source, but it for sure does not come from the Netherlands(bgli) or Belgium. I started at full dose, didn't have any problem with that. I asked to get it via IV, but my doctor refused that, so he's continueing giving it to me IM. My muscular problems are not a consequence of Gcmaf, or lack of exercise, it's the disease.

As I became ill, I gained a lot of weigth, and my weigth was always stable. But after starting Gcmaf, I lost 3/4 of my gained weigth. I think I can attribute this to Gcmaf.

My intolerances have improved since I started Gcmaf, actually, everything has improved, but it's not gone, and maybe that's the most important point to make. Many questions remain open, like: is the absent of a cure related to my VDR genotype, is it the quality of gcmaf itself, is the damage not repairable at all with Gcmaf, or maybe my body needs a lot more time, in order to reverse things ?

I'm sure there's a huge autoimmune component in this illness, and personally I think this can not be undone with Gcmaf. But that's my personal meaning.

Anyway, what advice can I give you ? Start Gcmaf asap, it will improve your general condition, and who knows what suprise you might expect. I didn't notice any side effects.

Take care,
OS.

Lou

Thanks very much, OS, for that detailed answer. It does appear the gcmaf has helped you quite a lot, even if not a cure. Hopefully, I can say that much, as well, in the near future. I wish you continued improvement!

Thanks again,

Lou

Daffodil

didnt yamamoto give ARV's with the GcMAF? if youre activating macrophages, shouldn't you be on ARV's?

Daffodil

there seems to be a forum on GcMAF and i think some people have posted their experiences. its on h5l.net but none of the pages will load. i did a search for "GcMAF h5l.net". its a german site i think

Overstressed

didnt yamamoto give ARV's with the GcMAF? if youre activating macrophages, shouldn't you be on ARV's?

Hi Daffodil,

if I remember correctly, Yamamoto's HIV-patients where off ARV's, because ARV's interferes with Gc-Maf. But I understand your point, XMRV infects Macrophages too, and if they are stimulated, you stimulate virus. We don't know the exact mechanisms of the immune system with Gc-Maf. But, and that's my experience, Gc-Maf makes you improve, so I think -like mojoey said- the advantages outweigh the disadv...

Take care,
OS.

Ronan

I have just been reading through the thread about the 5 new studies regarding possible xmrv contamination and saw KDM's comments about it all. In his comments he stated:

"My preliminary data show that the virus does not grow in culture anymore after Nexavir + GcMAF although the procedure was identical to the pretreatment culture."

Alexia

I have just been reading through the thread about the 5 new studies regarding possible xmrv contamination and saw KDM's comments about it all. In his comments he stated:

"My preliminary data show that the virus does not grow in culture anymore after Nexavir + GcMAF although the procedure was identical to the pretreatment culture."

I was also pleasantly surprised with that statement, I hope he is right and that we will start to see people improving who are taking it.

Daffodil

and macrophages can be infected over and over...and dont die when the HIV inside them is activated (i think)...so it seems weird that GcMAF would work...but i am desperate enough to take it anyway if people start improving!

mojoey

Just heard from a high responder on gcmaf that said her c4a went up to over 10k (not sure what the baseline is). The increase in c4a is similar to what Dr. D-J experienced with ARVs. KDM said this reaction is normal.