The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gastric Enterovirus Infection: A Possible Causative Etiology of Gastroparesis

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27344315

Though this is a study on idiopathic gastroparesis it looks like half the patients had an ME/CfS diagnosis (I included the relevant passage below the abstract).

rosie26, Webdog, waiting and 6 others like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Very interesting, especially that half the patients given antiviral treatments had improvements in their gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying). Although the antiviral treatments were somewhat hotchpotch. The full paper details the antiviral treatments received:

merylg, ScottTriGuy and Hutan like this.
  3. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Dr Chia was of a similar opinion in a study into those both with and without ME/CFS

http://file.scirp.org/pdf/OJGas_2015040916050357.pdf

[In summary, our studies provided evidence for the pathogenic role of enteroviral dsRNA in the stomach biopsies of patients who had FD/chronic gastritis with and without ME/CFS. Much more research will be needed to define the mechanism of virus-mediated tissue injury and host responses. Development of antiviral therapy against enteroviruses and/or dsRNA cannot be overemphasized, and the importance of enteroviruses in FD/chronic gastritis can only be realized with a randomized, placebo-controlled antiviral drug trial.

merylg, ScottTriGuy, Justin30 and 2 others like this.
  4. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

With all the talk stemming back 70 years about EV. Is seems this area of research is so in need of further research eapecially in ME/CFS.

This being said we know the EV Polio and the devestation it could cause why not other EVs?

merylg, Webdog, halcyon and 2 others like this.
  5. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
  6. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Seems the same similarities have thought to apply Type 1 Diabetes for a while too.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/61/3/687
    [Enterovirus RNA was found in diabetic patients more frequently than in control subjects and was associated with a clear inflammation response in the gut mucosa. Viral RNA was often detected in the absence of viral protein, suggesting defective replication of the virus. Patients remained virus positive in follow-up samples taken after 12 months’ observation. The results suggest that a large proportion of type 1 diabetic patients have prolonged/persistent enterovirus infection associated with an inflammation process in gut mucosa. This finding opens new opportunities for studying the viral etiology of type 1 diabetes.]

merylg, Webdog, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  7. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Austria
    Association between Crohns Disease and enterovirus is also described in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/link-shown-between-crohns-disease-and-virus.23979/

Interesting is this:

because enterovirus in the nervs occupying receptors in the nerv cells could change the function of signaling molecules, and therefore create chronic inflammation.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    merylg, rosie26, Webdog and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.