• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gas Fireplace/HVAC/Radiator Heat Lightheadedness?

sparklehoof

Has anyone else noticed that they feel lightheaded and more sick when near a gas fireplace (turned on) or when the house heat either HVAC or Radiator Heat is turned up passed a certain temperature (for me above 67-68F)?

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Your may be encountering two different problems here. A gas fireplace can exacerbate Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, and HVAC or Radiator Heat can initiate mold problems.

I have noticed feeling very lightheaded and sick near a radiator in the winter. I have gotten considerable relief by spraying the coils with ethanol.

I love winter for the relief from heat, and I can't wait for it to end so the problems with indoor air pollution end, mostly. :)

Mohawk1995

Sounds like it could be sensitivity to temperatures as you noted you cannot tolerate above 67-68 degrees F or could be some time of gas/chemistry interaction that is tolerated by most people but not by you. Very similar to Migraine issues with high sensitivity. Sounds more temperature related to me. Our son had a temperature tolerance to about 75 degrees only. He would get lightheaded and if really bad nauseated if it was hotter.

Plum

I react to the VOC's released from the dust trapped in the radiators. We bought a long bendy duster this year which helped clean the radiators and I reacted less.

I had no idea that anyone else felt out of sorts with gas heaters. There was a large gas heater at a relative's house that I would spend the holidays at. I could not even enter the room that the heater was in. But strangely, last year we moved into a 100 yr old house w/ a gas fireplace. It does not bother me at all, except for the first lighting of the season when the dust is burning off. Then, we have to open all the windows for a while.