Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Garlic

Discussion in 'Fungal Infection (Yeast, Candida)' started by cman89, Oct 22, 2014.

1. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    I am a big fan of natural remedies to health problems before pharm is used. Not opposed to meds, just dont like over doing them. I was wondering about the supposed anti-bacterial and anti fungal properties of garlic. You hear in various news sources about how Garlic is nature's medicine, etc... Would the antibacterial/fungal properties of Garlic, taken raw orally. (eaten lol) be comparable to any sort of Pharamaceutical approach? Or is it just too weak to compare? as an aside, I have seen the power of garlic to kill bacteria via some lab experiments in college, so I am not totally convinced either way on this.

2. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    From my won anecdotal experience I would say yes garlic can be powerful (capsules especially, rather than eating the cloves as they are more super concentrated).

I tired taking them many times in the past for fungal infections, but found that after a day or two they caused me to feel more ill and caused palpitations and a nasty sick feeling. This happened every time I tried them.

At the time I did not know that I had two (possibly three) bacterial infections alongside the candida - Bartonella, Chlamydia Pneumonaie and possible Lyme. Now it makes sense to me that I couldn't tolerate the Garlic - it may have been causing a herx effect.

3. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    I tend to do periodic garlic sessions to hopefully clear up junk in the system. Never seems to cause problems, more a preventative thing. thats why I was askin. thanks

4. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I tried a little raw garlic with supper for a week, It caused me to wake up in the middle of the night with abdominal pain. I didn't notice any improvements.

5. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I read that you must take garlic 3 times a day, so it's in your system all day, for many days, to really work against bacteria/fungus. I haven't tried it but it's on my list of things to try.

Another problem I found is that most garlic powders, capsules, and minced garlic are coming from China. Even well known US brands say China in the small print on the back. There have been major contamination issues with the garlic from China and I would advise against any from China.

Organic oregano oil is another one to consider.

6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I am bad with sulphur things so garlic in capsules and raw makes me feel very ill indeed. Stomach ache and I feel weak, poisoned and nauseous.

Garlic taken raw has never helped with my bacterial infections (like tonsillitis or sinus infections) or candida for me sadly. It would have been a huge relief.

7. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    What is the cost lvel on the oregano oil?

8. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    People take them in gel cap form and it's about $7-20 per month depending on brand. Some people probably take high doses. I don't know much about it.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    IMO, much more powerful is olive leaf extract. Also powerful and readily available is clove powder.

I'd never gotten around to black walnut husks; but everything is dead around a tree, so it seems powerful going by looks.

See more popular forum discussions.