• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Garlic helpful for cfs or not?

iwillwin1day

Anybody tried garlic? It is potent natural antiviral, antibiotic, antibacterial, and antifungal. There are many studies done on garlic.
what was your experience if you have tried? AND what is your opinion on garlic?
Thanks

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I don't take it regularly because it can lower blood pressure and my bp is low as it is. I do take it once in a while if I feel myself coming down with something. I've learned personally that if I eat it raw that way it can sometimes help to head off the sickness. Sometimes I have tried to take it on a rotational basis with other antivirals such as oregano oil, olive leaf, oregon grape, etc. but I've never managed to be consistent enough with that protocol to see if it would help with the CFS.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I've tried garlic, even taking Kyolic which is expensive. It didn't do for ME/CFS what I had hoped.

It has turned me into a garlic addict though. :D And my Doctor says I have the blood work of a vegetarian, but I'm not. Every little thing I can find to improve my overall health will increase my odds of surviving this illness.

And garlic is delicious. One of my favorites is to bake a potato with an entire bulb of garlic, squeeze the baked garlic out of it's paper and into the potato. Butter, sea salt, and fresh cracked black pepper, oooh, which way to the kitchen.

pamojja

Take garlic (regular extract and aged garlic) with a plethora of other things against my PAD, which went in remission that way. Didn't touch ME/CFS in any way though.

iwillwin1day

I don't take it regularly because it can lower blood pressure and my bp is low as it is. I do take it once in a while if I feel myself coming down with something. I've learned personally that if I eat it raw that way it can sometimes help to head off the sickness. Sometimes I have tried to take it on a rotational basis with other antivirals such as oregano oil, olive leaf, oregon grape, etc. but I've never managed to be consistent enough with that protocol to see if it would help with the CFS.
I also have the same problem with garlic it helps with sickness but always lower my already low bp and because of that i can't take it long time or in high quantity. It helped me with strep infection.

Last edited:

iwillwin1day

Haven't noticed any particular effect on my ME. I've had periods when I've eaten it daily, cooked or raw. Just no noticeable effects...on the ME. I never got bitten by vampires when I was eating garlic. :)
Its true. same for me when i took garlic mosquito will stay away for me. Also i get sick less often on garlic when i was healthy. Stopped garlic after getting me cfs.