• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

garcinia cambogia, saffron

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Just wanted to pass on some info I got from Dr. Oz...these things raise serotonin. From what I read saffron helps PMS (which is MY "wired and tired" and over 50 is PMS forever). (I have not tried this yet). If I skip or schlep my supplement regime I get so wired I can't bear it so I have been supplementing defensively my whole life. The Garcinia supposedly also helps against pain. I checked iherb and found a product "Red Lightnig" and one of the reviewers said it helps them against fibromyalgia pain. I am interested in these primarily because I have horrible spells of what I call schlepiness - can't get much done, I think it's depression based. Comes and goes and I want it gone forever so I am looking into serotonin boosters.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I just read that P5P is needed to make neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine TO PREVENT ANXIETY. I thibk this may be key for me and maybe no need to try the above serotonin boosters. I think it may be why I sometimes have a bit of anxiety problems and sometimes not -- I take 50mg P5P but not all the time. I hate taking so many pills so sometime I just take my B complex and skip the other extra B's...and now I am wondering if I could do with less DHEA and more P5P for the reason I can't dial down on DHEA is anxiety and the reason I never ook more P5P is because I don't need more FOR LOWERING HOMOCYSTEINE. However I never explored what else P5P might do for me. I'm gonna substitute my evening dose of DHEA for 50mg P5P and see if it does the trick. Anyone interested in raising serotoin keep posted.

Supposedly watermelon is a good source of P5P. I love it myself and not only because it is full of citrulline for my blood pressure.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Ok I guess no one is interested in garcinia - I should have titled this "Raising Serotonin". I have found that an extra 50mg P5P in the evening prevents me from getting anxiety issues and allows me to reduce my dose of DHEA to normal levels. I already was taking 50mg P5P in the morning. This appears to be required by my CBS mutations - I have a +/+ and a +/-. The 50mg DHEA is also required to regulate that gene. It may be the testosterone made from it, not sure. It may be necessary to take 5-alpha-reductase nhibitors to preserve testosterone to get that effect as well (like I do). I take 50mg zinc piconolate and LEF's cruciferous veggies extract, which has a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor in it as well as I3C/DIM (so it helps regulate ALL my hormones). I believe that my CBS gene will suck up all available P5P if I do not take the DHEA (AND make the DHEA follow the right hormone paths), and that is what leads to anxiety. I believe the DHEA does not fully regulate the CBS and it takes a divided dose of 100mg P5P to fully regulate it.

of course if CBS sucks up all my P5P then I cannot make neurotransmitters and thus feel anxiety.

Misfit Toy

triffid113, I am interested in this. I bought it and haven't touched it. I bought if for weight loss. I am just reacting to everything right now, so haven't tried it yet.

Creekee

triffid113,

I am following, too. Interested in a fix for the schlepiness thing. I have it in spades. Which is super frustrating as I'm feeling better than I have in years, but just wanna lay around and wallow in it. Which is not getting anything done!

Also have a hubby who is homo CBS. No ME/CFS symptoms, but suffers from anxiety, thermal problems, asthma, allergies and sleep apnea. Have been too buried in researching my own SNPs to start looking at his. But am following you closely and appreciate all the tidbits you share!

GypsyGirl

Did anyone end up taking garcinia cambogia?

I am thinking about trying it (to decrease sugar cravings and get the most of my paltry "workouts"), but don't know anyone with chronic illness who's taken it.

Hi all, while I realize this thread started three years ago, I just heard of garcinia cambogia recently. The claim of increased energy and serotonin caught my attention. I've been taking 500mg of a supplement containing at least 50‰ HCA combined with Ca, K, and chromium for a week now. (Suggested dose on the bottle is twice that, but it felt too strong to me.) I've noticed that physically, my ailments have not improved, but I am much less despondent about it. The emotional state goes a long way as far as well being is concerned. I've previously had my serotonin tested and it was extremely low. My Dr. told me that was why any time I tried taking SSRIs, I became very ill - not enough serotonin to reuptake! (Duh! Why don't psychiatrists test neurotransmitters before prescribing these drugs - so irresponsible.) I would have to conclude, anecdotally, that the g. cambogia is indeed boosting my serotonin level. CAVEAT: I read you should not take g. cambogia if you're taking an SSRI or SNRI because it may result in serotonin toxicity. My husband has been taking 1000mg of g.c. to aid with weight loss and has reported his mood is calmer, he's less reactive to stress at work and his appetite is decreased - less urge to snack or binge. Anyone else have experience with this substance?

Update: I had about a week's worth of honeymoon period with this dose. I switched to taking it at night because I felt too dopey in the morning, which would be okay except that my job requires me to speak intellectually. After about a week, I actually started feeling depressed. I'm curious to know if it's a rebound effect, so I'll discontinue and then see what changes.