• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gallstones and low iodine

Peyt

Hi,
My tests show low Iodine although my thyroids are all okay.
I constantly have gallbladder problems . (headaches, poor digestion, inability to digest fats, pain in Gallbladder area , ...etc.)
Yesterday I was listening to a heath radio show and it was mentioned that gallstones could be cured by Iodine. So I want to bring this up to
my N.D. the next time I go for a visit. Does anyone know if there is any studies or research that shows there is a relationship between low iodine and formation of gallstones?
Thanks so much

Last edited:

drob31

Ironically this is similar to 2 separate things I was looking into for myself.

Border-line low iodine serum, and gallstones were observed in sonar scan.

Iodine made me feel like a million bucks when I first tried it, then it crashed me. Was this because a missing co-factor?

Then I realized that high fats made me fatigued. Was this because of gallbladder issues?

drob31

Thanks for the links. I've since switched to a more balanced approach of macros. Added in more carbs like rice that I'm not sensitive to, dropped fats, and eat more olive oil instead of sat fat, and kept protein about the same.

The thing is... when you have HPA-axis issue, you want your saturated fat to be higher, to allow production of more LDL, which the body uses to produce pregnenelone. So I feel like it's still important to get sat fat.

Peyt

Looks like this thread is diverting from it's original purpose. Can anyone comment on the relationship between low Iodine and gallstone formation?