• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gallstone!

Fuzzyhead

I haven't been well and my liver function test was high. I had an ultrasound scan of my liver, pancreas, gallbladder,kidneys and spleen and all that was there was a gallstone thats Been there for years, about 2mm.
I keep getting an ache on the right side of my back where my shoulder blade is and it radiates to the right side of my neck. It's there most of the time and when I eat I burp more and when I burp or breath it hurts in the same place. I have constant nausea and loose bowels.
The gallstone wasn't blocking anything so I don't know if the pains etc I am having are from that.

Valentijn

I just went to the doc yesterday with some weird symptoms (thinking it might be hiatal hernia due to all the chicks in the family having one), but the GP says it's my gallbladder - and based on the precise location of my pain (right of center, barely lower than the rib cage), she's got it right.

I had sharp stabbing pain there for a few days, but now it only hurts if I poke it. I had acid reflux for about a week before the pain, as well as burping like mad every time I drank a little water. Also tachycardia. So probably had an actual gallstone attack, which is now presumably resolved. I actually went in because I was getting intense nausea after even tiny meals, especially dinner.

The doc gave me Ranitidine (Zantac), which really does seem to have made the nausea go away, even though a different type of OTC antacid didn't help with the nausea at all. An ultrasound might be in my future if the sharp pain comes back, and I need to go back in if I get a fever, since passing the gallstone could have caused tearing which might cause infection.

Fuzzyhead said:
The gallstone wasn't blocking anything so I don't know if the pains etc I am having are from that.

It sounds like there can be other problems with the gallbladder aside from gallstones - basically it can become scarred and useless as the result of chronic inflammation and/or previous gallstone problems, and produce nasty sludge. Might be worth getting that checked out if the symptoms continue without any actual problematic stones. It sounds like an ultrasound wouldn't catch that particular problem.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
cant rememeber if its gall or kidney stones but valtrex increases the risk of getting this, if one has a high risk factor then dr lerner has mentioned he puts patients on famvir rather then valtrex which doesnt have the increased risk of stones??

Helen

Chanca Piedra has been recommended for gallstones. It is said to dissolve the stones.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
There is strong anecdotal evidence that going gluten-free dramatically eases gallbladder problems in some cfs patients. Well worth a try. I was vomiting regularly and in severe pain with 2-3 attacks a week. Had stones. I was urged to have surgery. Haven't had a single attack since going gluten-free. When I briefly went back onto gluten, the gall bladder problems came back. So I'm pretty sure gluten was a problem for me. Haven't had a single episode in ten years. Same for other patients. Definitely worth a try.