• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GAD1 & 2 glutamate- GABA-balance

alicec

Yes I see - I didn't realise that.

So even if straight GABA isn't a calcium channel blocker, it would only do something for you if you have a leaky BBB.

Your strategy may need a rethink.

zzz

If Phenibut/Kavinace are CCB's and they are marketed as GABA...

They aren't actually marketed as GABA; they're marketed as GABAergic drugs, which means that they stimulate the production of GABA.
it makes me unclear which other forms of GABA might also be CCB's?

There's only one form of GABA, and it's not a calcium channel blocker. But as noted, it doesn't cross the BBB, so supplemental GABA will not work unless you have a leaky BBB (which many of us do).

There are various different GABAergic drugs with various side effects; benzos are also relevant here because although they don't create GABA, they increase the effects of GABA. But tolerance is a problem with all of these drugs, though the extent of the problem varies by drug. Also, many of these drugs can be extremely addicting, and must be taken with great care.

Gingergrrl

Yes I see - I didn't realise that. So even if straight GABA isn't a calcium channel blocker, it would only do something for you if you have a leaky BBB. Your strategy may need a rethink.

Thanks, @alicec, and I may have a leaky BBB for all I know since in general everything seems to be "leaky" and more permeable when you have MCAS. It was just an experiment and I know it may not work and am still conflicted if I even want to try it.

They aren't actually marketed as GABA; they're marketed as GABAergic drugs, which means that they stimulate the production of GABA.

@zzz Thanks and it seems like some of the supplements are marketed as a form (or precursor?) of GABA so you have to really carefully read the label. Many also contain multiple ingredients and not just GABA. If I try it, I want to find a pure form of GABA with no other ingredients... and most likely this will be another failed experiment to add to the list.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this issue!