• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GABA produced by gut bacteria?

Glynis Steele

Intestinal Bacteria Produce Neurotransmitter, Could Play Role in Inflammation

"We identified, to our knowledge, the first bifidobacterial strain, Bifidobacterium dentium, that is capable of secreting large amounts of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This molecule is a major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central and enteric nervous systems," says Karina Pokusaeva, a researcher on the study and a member of the laboratory of James Versalovic.

GABA is one of the chief inhibitory neurotransmitters in the human central nervous system. It plays a role in regulating pain and some pain relieving drugs currently on the market act by targeting GABA receptors on neural cells.

Full article here at Sciencedaily:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120617142536.htm

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Most of our serotonin is manufactured in the gut as well. About 80% I believe. The pile of information that is gathering showing the importantance of gut health is pretty amazing to me. I hope it keeps on coming so that we can get a real clear picture of what would work best for us arrives pretty soon cause I need it bad.

Enid

Thanks Glynis - how GI research moves on now. Strange that over a period of high dose Gabapentin I slept soundly and felt better (not cured). I assume the action is the same.