• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GABA/NMDA/Dopamine Relationship?

Changexpert

I believe there is a relationship among NMDA, GABA (and thus glutamate), and dopamine, but have not done any research on it. I suspect this because every time I take a magnesium supplement (NMDA antagonist), I feel very relaxed and calm. Sometimes, when I take too much magnesium in a short period of time and go to bed, on the next day, my body would feel like it's "half-awaken." Same goes for GABA supplements (pharmaGABA, I have not tried regular GABA). The problem is, my body feels like that for a long time no matter what I eat or do. I become emotionally flat, wishing the day would just go by.

So this makes me wonder if NMDA antagonists and GABA supplements that cross BBB affect dopamine level. Does NMDA antagonist lower dopamine level in the body? If you know a research paper or blog articles on this topic, please share in the comment. Thank you so much.

adreno

PR activist
In general, there is an inverse relationship between glutamate and dopamine. Higher glutamate usually means lower dopamine. That is also why NMDA antagonists such as ketamine can induce euphoria and psychosis.

GABA seems to pretty much inhibit everything, both glutamate and dopamine included.

Last edited: