1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

GABA ,Glutamate for Anxiety,Sleep

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by arx, Jun 25, 2013.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

Hi,

My major symptom is the 'wired and tired' feeling.In fact I experience it in a very extreme degree. Since benzos gave me 'some' relief,but tolerance and withdrawal was hard to deal with, I've been looking into GABA and Glutamate. I understand that both are related.

Has anyone tried the above? If yes,did it help,and with what dosage?
  2. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Wired and tired is more likely to be high NE than high glutamate.
  3. arx

arx Senior Member

Then how to reduce high norepinephrine?
  4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Olive leaf extract can increase NE reuptake, which is often a problem in ME. Many seem to have NE transporter deficiency and OLE helps that. Else there is SSRIs, clonidine/guanfacine and of course the big one: cortisol. Cortisol is needed to control NE.
    Emootje and helen1 like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I get wired and tired, but have low norepinephrine (blood platelets) and high glutamate (urine tests). NAC takes care of it and lets me sleep.
    nettie likes this.
  6. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    What about high sulfur and ammonia levels? They can cause excitotoxicity. Can occur due to the CBS variation. Do you know if you have CBS? Glutamate is related to those. I make sure not to eat any unbound glutamates (as found in MSG and the many similar additives in processed foods) as they're dreadful for causing 'wired n tired' and twitching in the susceptible. Also eat very little or no bound glutamates in the evening for the same reason. Even though bound glutamates (meats, dairy, nuts) have less effect, it still affect can affect sleep.
    Be wary of GABA supplements as I've read they cause decreased production of your own GABA with regular use.
  7. arx

arx Senior Member

Will GABA be as effective as a benzo?
  8. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

The problem with people who have been on Benzo medicines for a long period of time (me being one of them) is that like helen1 mentioned above - your brain "forgets" how to use the GABA it has. You might not be deficient. It might just be a problem of not "knowing" how to use the GABA that is there. By using GABA products, it will just aggravate the situation.

Ii has been over a year sine I have been on Klonopin (a Benzo med) and I still suffer from this wired feeling. Sometimes it's better and other times it is pretty bad. I too was looking into GABA products in order to ease these symptoms but I have found many warnings against it's use in my situation. It is hard to do but. I really have to allow my brain to heal and to learn to recollect.

See more popular forum discussions.