1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gaba/Glutamate balance, NMDA Blocker

Discussion in 'Cognition' started by Bdeep86, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Bdeep86

Bdeep86

I have come to the conclusion after many years of living with CFS that my use of Adderall (a potent amphetamine) greatly offset my gaba glutamate balance. I dont' know if taking traditional supps that help with this will be enough. Has anyone been able to rebalance this or have they ever used an prescription NMDA blocker to address this?
  2. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I find magnesium threonate to be very effective.
  3. Bdeep86

Bdeep86

Really? I have tried other forms of magnesium with mediocre results. Also Mag tends to lower my cortisol levels. Do you feel this is significantly more effective than other forms of magnesium? Have you tried other things to block NMDA?
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Memantine is an nmda antagonist. can help control inflammatory cytokines as well as increase dopamine.
  5. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Yes, it's significantly more effective than other forms of Mg.
  6. Bdeep86

Bdeep86

Have you used menatime before heapsreal? I am nervous about using something like that. Thank you for your feedback adreno, This is something I am considering getting.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i have used a low dose memantine 5-10mg and did find it help energy and cognitive aspects. I only use it for a few days and then take a break from it as i think the effects build up.

From what i have read it blocks inflammatory cytokines such as tnf alpha which many cfsers are high in, but the only way to know is to try things??
  8. Bdeep86

Bdeep86

I am definitely willing to try it, I am just trying to figure out how you take it, and all the aspects of taking a med like that.
  9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I have a major GABA/glutamate imbalance due to ativan withdrawal. I have to be extremely careful about what I take because of extreme sensitivity but the only thing I have used which is safe and shows any effect is L-Theanine. GABA doesn't seem to cross the BBB and I have never used a glutamate inhibitor.

See more popular forum discussions.