Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gaba and sleep

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by A zombie, Dec 9, 2015.

1. A zombie

A zombie

i cant tolerate l-theanine , Llmd told me to take it. I have comt and knew it could ne a problem for me as other methyl donors are. I tried and failed miserably.
    My lllm said this happened cause i have L BBB. One weird thing gaba doesn't do anything for me. I haven't taken it in a while but i do take kaviance which has gaba and it doesn't do anything...
    Also my Llmd recommended i take APEX resvertrol. thoughts?

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I heard someone on one of the teleconferences recently that GABA only works w/ leaky BBB. It used to be a great aid for me, then after some years, I no longer needed it.

I think I just said the same thing you said.:confused: Resveratrol is a good antioxidant. If you have histamine issues, use the Japanese knotweed type instead of red wine. Eventually I found that my body prefers acai as antioxidant.

3. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    I have pretty good luck with Source Naturals L-Tryptophan with B6 in it. I often take it in the middle of the night and it slowly lulls me back to sleep. Are you taking plenty of magnesium? I take about 500-600 mg in divided doses at lunch and dinner--citrate and malate. I understand this can also help COMT. Zinc, which I've had to titrate drop by drop is also definitely a help at night, though with each increase it gave me sweats. Those slowly faded and I assume had to do with detox. Zinc is helpful for the short-route methylation cycle which involves BHMT. Zinc is a cofactor...

Good luck. For me these issues have been and continue to be an inch by inch sort of thing. I'm just inching along!

4. A zombie

A zombie

thanks for your replies...I cant tolerate L-tryp :( i have no clue as i'm LOW :( anyone know reasons why i wouldnt be able to tolerate 5 http,
    i just started upping my mag :)
    ii don't know if i have histamine issues but i would go with the knotweed just incase :)

5. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Is it possible it has something to do with the fact that 5 htp and L-tryptophan aren't the exact same things?

From NOW's label for 5 htp: 5-HTP, the intermediate metabolite between the amino acid L-tryptophan and serotonin, is extracted from the bean of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

6. A zombie

A zombie

but don they both work in the brain???
    the ppl at comt group say its a methyl donor and thats why i cant tolerate it, but i cant tolerate ginseng either, it causes brain zaps, the same at 5htp and l-tryp.

7. A zombie

A zombie

LLMD has me ordering an amino acid sup as my AA's are all low too . I'm a mess!

8. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Well, I think l-tryp is an amino acid, whereas 5htp is an intermediary. But I'd have to look it up. Interestingly, a year or two ago I couldn't tolerate l-tryp myself and I never thought why it was that I can now. I'm thinking that being on magnesium, which is said to treat COMT, may have done the trick.

I've been on the magnesium for a couple of years now, though it's only recently that I tried the l-tryp with some success. I know what you mean about the brain zaps.

I'd start with the magnesium--who knows.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  9. A zombie

A zombie

yep, going to start taking mag religiously. Thanks for the tips!

See more popular forum discussions.