• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

G.I Results Panel

aquariusgirl

Ok, I know this may sound a bit out of left field, but the OCD/anxiety thing makes me think about BH4. Genetic inability to synthesise BH4,, interferes with B12 transport & messes with dopamine and serotonin. Low serotonin, cos of low Bh4, leads to loss of gut motility etc.

Stress depletes BH4 massively from what I read.

Researchers are talking about BH4 in relation to bipolar and schizophrenia but perhaps milder BH4 deficiency results in anxiety and OCD?

I notice Dr Amy Yasko is all about lithium these days...and there is a relationship between lithium and BH4. I'm not sure but I think lithium up regulates BH4 genes?

It would be interesting to know who has got snps in bh4 synthesising and processing genes on their 23andme panels.

Ok, I know this may sound a bit out of left field, but the OCD/anxiety thing makes me think about BH4. Genetic inability to synthesise BH4,, interferes with B12 transport & messes with dopamine and serotonin. Low serotonin, cos of low Bh4, leads to loss of gut motility etc.

Stress depletes BH4 massively from what I read.

Researchers are talking about BH4 in relation to bipolar and schizophrenia but perhaps milder BH4 deficiency results in anxiety and OCD?

I would love to know the answer to this as well - I have mutations that all point to low tetrahydrofolate and am looking into supplementing directly with BH4. My symptoms are severe anxiety/OCD. BH4 may not be a cure, but possibly will help with any underlying BH4 process issue?