1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

G-AchR Antibodies Tested for Autonomic Dysfunction/POTS?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Ema, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  2. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Is this the receptor antibody or an antibody to a variant of the ACH enzyme referred to as ACH-R? There is one scientist who believes ACH-R (an enzyme variant of acetylcholinesterase) is being produced in many with CFS/ME, effectively blocking the proper action of ACH which is to degrade acetylcholine. As we know the acetylcholine toxicity and or organophosphate poisoning symptoms are very similar to CFS.

I have read several studies on the subject and apparently in animals (under extreme prolonged stress) a gene turns on which causes ACH-R to replace ACH production (at least in significant amounts), making the ACH enzyme dysfunctional.

The evolutionary mechanism of this would supposedly be to tell the animal to "RELAX". This reasoning is my inference but the point in one research article on the subject was made that the ACH-R production gene was turned on in many cases for years after the stressor.

Serotonin antibodies have been found. I've never had the ACHr anti bodies tested..I am assuming you mean the receptor antibodies as are found in M.S.

In any event if the ACH-R enzyme turns on and acetylcholine builds to toxic levels constantly it would not surprise me if that could be a mechanism for the body to start destroying the receptors to lower the levels of acetylcholine.

This is highly theoretical. If I had to guess I would say hormones are still intimately involved in the regulation of the entire acetylcholine system.

3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I am pretty sure there is an acetylcholine problem but my immunemodulator acts on the a7 nicotine receptor
    To improve I need the immunemodulator and nicotine from sigarette smoke. So I think the problem is not the muscarine receptors

It is so damned complex my brain becomes overloaded when I try to figure it out.

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It I was to guess based on my response to things that increase acetylcholine, I would have thought I was low, not high. But maybe it isn't being utilized well because of autoantibodies to the receptor or something else?

I think you can test these antibodies as a part of a myasthenia gravis work up. Would that make any sense?

See more popular forum discussions.