The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Further commentary on the PACE trial: Biased methods and unreliable outcomes

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by BurnA, Jun 14, 2017.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Abstract
    Geraghty in the year 2016, outlines a range of controversies surrounding publication of results from the PACE trial and discusses a freedom of information case brought by a patient refused access to data from the trial. The PACE authors offer a response, writing ‘Dr Geraghty’s views are based on misunderstandings and misrepresentations of the PACE trial’. This article draws on expert commentaries to further detail the critical methodological failures and biases identified in the PACE trial, which undermine the reliability and credibility of the major findings to emerge from this trial.

http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/iXpCNJk6zd34nFpSy4NK/full

ahimsa, MEMum, Dolphin and 22 others like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    The Journal of Health Psychology -- if it weren't a conflict of interest, I'd send them a fruit basket. What a breath of fresh air they've been as compared to the intractable Lancet.

3. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Lol, sounds like the start of a film or a book, " @Keith Geraghty , in the year 2016,...", perhaps could have been continued "rode bravely forth, to smite the evil BPS cult, and destroy, once and for all, their deadly weapon, PACE."

But seriously, thank you Keith for all your efforts. :thumbsup:

4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Moved to s4me.info

Good summing up of most of the arguments. Thank you for all your hard work, @Keith Geraghty.

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    Well done, Keith! Thank you :)

6. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Could always send the Lancet some fruit cakes if you like? :D (English vernacular)

Edit: Just realised (thanks to google) that in some slang this has derogatory sexual connotations, which is not what I am referring to here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  7. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I know that this has been hacked to death in the past, but I can't resist.

‘too stringent’ - When the PACE authors state this, it begs the obvious question: too stringent for what? Which then begs the obvious answer: Too stringent to get the results they were determined to get. It's like a car being MOT'd and failing because of poor braking efficiency, and then saying the MOT is "too stringent", so modifying the MOT test criterion so it passes! It's such mind bogglingly blatant gamesmanship.

‘best evidence’ - is incredibly subjective. The best t*rd in a bucket of sh*t is still a t*rd.

8. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Death threat alert! :D

Couldn't resist this :angel:

A good idea from China :whistle:

Anyone like to start a petition to encourage our government to introduce this law into the UK? :lol:

https://www.statnews.com/2017/06/23...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    That's an interesting phrase that could do with being introduced in the UK.

Along with the death penalty for research fraud which leads to harming people, of course.

Sounds like some of our BPS friends may be safer in Afghanistan after all.

10. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Hmm, China takes it quite seriously then ...

MEMum and GreyOwl like this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

The death penalty is extreme and inhumane, but criminal charges for research fraud that harms patients sounds like a good idea. At the very least, academic fraud and academic dishonesty should have serious career and funding repercussions. But regulatory bodies in the UK don't seem to give a damn, and just keep dishing out the money to the same quacks.

pernille, lemonworld, mango and 9 others like this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I've just remembered I'm against the death penalty, so thanks for that reality check. I used to be such a mild chap.

13. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

It helps to pretend the researchers are extremely stupid or delusional, instead of merely dishonest and unscrupulous about hurting people.

14. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    Thank you very much @Keith Geraghty for all the work you are doing, along with having to deal with people making your working life 'difficult', it is appreciated and I hope you find some comfort in that fact that it is a deeply ethical and humane project(s).

A compromise is in the offing, @TiredSam :

[​IMG]

In fact they would obviously relish this task while imprisoned, as they do like to stress that 'Work makes you healthy and provides meaning'

15. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I doubt China's motives are so honourable. Probably less about patient safeguards and more about national image.

Valentijn likes this.
  16. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

And another way to get rid of anyone with the wrong enemies.

Barry53 and MEMum like this.
  17. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Chinese research is (perhaps rightly) getting a _terrible_ reputation.
    Something reasonably needs to be done - is this an appropriate something - probably not.

18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Perhaps it's along the lines of 'weapon's of mass destruction' -- nobody really expects to use them because the results are so extreme the mere threat is deterrent enough.

19. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

This will be why the murder rate in US states with the death penalty is so much lower than those without the death penalty. (it's not).

Rare extreme punishments do not enter into peoples heads when they're doing a thing.
    If policing was such that 50% of study authors with malpractice in were executed, that's of course a rather different thing.

20. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

You're right. Though my comment was a bit tongue in cheek (really hard to tell I know). Humans are such bold creatures, very little deters us.

MEMum likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.