• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Funding Spinal Fluid Studies

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
What can we do to ensure that the spinal fluid studies have the funding to continue?

I am too sick at the moment to look in to this, but wondering if someone can research how it's funded and if they seem to have enough to complete the studies - if not, how can we advocate to get $$ shifted here - from gov't or otherwise.

For a long time, we have thought spinal fluid was the answer - I think we need to push this as much as we can -- maybe should be on the next CFSAC agenda.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks August, apparently the study received approx $273,000 and was not scheduled to end until 2012. I wonder if this means there are more phases to the study (ie. trying to match the proteins found in the CSF to proteins that could be found in blood)??

Or if this study ended early - is there money left over that can be used for a new study to isolate a biomarker? I wish I understood how this worked. Does anyone know how to find this information?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I think with what was found, especially since the present results include CFS and Lymes, that more phases will come. I really believe if Dr. Baranuk can get his present study published that it will add more positve findings and in fact these 2 studies could eventually enhance each other.

I think Dr. Baranuk felt very good about his last study in 2008(?) is going to work very hard towards sifting out pertinent data.