Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Funding for NIH Centers of Excellence?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Mary, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Does anyone know if the roughly $7 million a year allocated for the new NIH ME/CFS research centers is in addition to the roughly $7 million already budgeted for ME/CFS by the NIH, so that total funding for ME/CFS is suddenly doubled to roughly $14 million a year? (see https://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending.aspx)

Or are they just using the $7 million already budgeted?

And for whoever responds, it would be helpful if you could provide your source(s) for this information - thank you!

Joh likes this.
  2. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

pretty sure it's in addition to. I don't have a source, but note that NIH just doled out more money to the UK biobank in addition to funding the COE's.

simeyss, Solstice and Mary like this.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

The categorical spending for 2017 is just an estimate. We will have to wait till 2018 to calculate the actual figures.

4. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Right, I understand. But 2 years ago Francis Collins said that funding for ME/CFS research would be "substantially ramped up" in the not too distant future. So it's great to see these centers being funded - but I would like to know if ME/CFS funding has doubled, or is at the same rate as before. I think this information should be available now, am just not sure where to find it.

5. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Wally, mango and Webdog like this.
  6. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Joh likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Is the cost of the NIH intramural study included these numbers? I don't know what that figure would be, but I don't think it was included in Jenny Spotila's blog (unless I missed it).

8. Nielk

Nielk

I don't think so. This is only for extramural studies.

I

Forbin likes this.
  9. viggster

viggster Senior Member

No, that money is spent on the NIH campus and is not included in the accounting of external funding. Dr. Nath has said the intramural study costs about $2-$3 million a year.

neweimear, JohnCB, mango and 6 others like this.
  10. neweimear

neweimear Senior Member

Viggster, will they look at potential treatments at the end of the study...some drugs that can be repurposed for us hopefully...is that part of the plan?

Webdog likes this.
  11. viggster

viggster Senior Member

The NIH has laid out a 3-stage plan, the third stage being drug trials. Nath talks about it in this video, about minute 3:45.

ahimsa, Groggy Doggy and neweimear like this.

See more popular forum discussions.