• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Functional MRI scans - useful or not?

hixxy

I've had a doctor recently hint at wanting to send me for a Functional MRI scan. Are these scans, if positive, even useful in guiding treatment or do they just provide yet more useless information that there IS something wrong but there's not much they can do about it?

This is something I don't really want to do lightly as I have very severe MCS and EMF sensitivity.

hixxy

hixxy

I might also add that I had an extremely abnormal SPECT scan result in November last year. It showed problems pretty much everywhere, but especially in the frontal lobe and the occipital lobe, but once again they don't seem to attach any useful treatment to this result? Seems like testing for the sake of testing.

hixxy

*GG*

Good question. Probably not helpful for getting treatment, but perhaps someone who knows better will jump in here?

I had fMRI done as part of a study, and the researchers say that they are excited with the info gathered. They have now requested a DNA sample, so not sure what this will lead to?

GG

Enid

My MRI brain scans abnormal - (high spots) - I would take it that a scan may aid.

hixxy

Has anyone else out there had an MRI and had treatment given specifically based on the results?

Enid

No treatment was given after my MRI scan hixxy - it was some time ago and my Neurologist was considering things like Parkinsons, MS and Polio - but couldn't find. He did admit he couldn't understand - I did find high dose Gabapentin(Neurontin) useful at my severe stage, along with all the recognised ME supps.