Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Functional improvement is accompanied by reduced pain in adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There's no abstract for this.

So they've combined the two arms of the FITNET trial (although didn't use all the people in the control group)

However, I don't think this is that amazing: if one looked at people who had no therapy and were being classed as recovered (or much improved), they likely would also have much better pain scores than a group that had rated themselves less well by other measures.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It is important to note that the recovered group don't have the same scores as healthy controls:
    This would mean that the results are statistically different from healthy controls, suggesting the "recovered" still can't be considered as back to normal.

Simon and Valentijn like this.
  3. Tito

Tito Senior Member

2 standard deviations is quite a substantial range... On a Gaussian curve, with 2 SD each side of the average, you actually have 95.5% of the population. Also, 90% of school attendance, that is still 1 day off sick every other week. Over 10 months, that is 22 school days. This is quite substantial. It seems as the "recovered" could certainly be mild patients, but also moderate ME patients.

Valentijn and Dolphin like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's what I'd have thought.

I thought FITNET had required people to rate themselves as 'completely recovered' to be classed as recovered? [I was wrong - 39% rated themselves as fully recovered though] It sounds like patients rating themselves as feeling much better had consciously chosen not to rate themselves as recovered.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I am not an adolescent but an old woman. All my life I functioned better if the pain from an injury lessened.

During my improvement from very severe ME it was also: less pain better functioning. Not the other way around.

I have improved a lot but when the pain worsens I function less well.

See more popular forum discussions.